Great new engine arguement!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I just noticed something the other day when trying to help a guy re-power his mower. So here goes a new angle on the Kawi v/s Kohler arguement!

OK, know how is so commonly said that the 25 hp Kawi is right up there with the 27hp Kohler and way above the 25??? Kawi has more torque than Kohler, close to equal working power with the 27 hp. Well bite this off and chew on it a while.

Kawasaki = 41.0 ft lbs @ 2400 RPM
    Kohler = 42.7 ft lbs @ 3000 RPM

Anyone see the 'key' of the new arguement?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you're talking about where peak torque occurs at it's really a moot point because hardly anyone is running thier engines at those low rpms The numbers you want to see are at 3600 rpm.

3. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

That's where I engage my pto on my M60kaw. 2400. Then run it up.

Seems to be easier on the pto and belts.

4. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Riches139 just a note on the PTO engagment speed. I used to do it at a higher RPM as well but was told by my Exmark dealer that they recommend a lower engagement rpm to reduce wear on the PTO disks. Apparently there is much more slip on the disks which creates wear when going from a dead stop to high speed on engagement. I definitly know what you mean about beating up the belt on low speed engagements though. In fact I've had belts come off that way. I guess its a six of one and half a dozen of the other.

5. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'd rather put a belt back on, rather than prematurly wear the pto.
    Never had it happen though.

Where are you in Virginia?

I used to live in Arlington. :waving:

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Envy, you need to also understand that Kohler changed their website a while back. With all the talk over torque they either added some numbers to paper or actually increased the torque on their motors. Last year those numbers were NOT the same.

With that being said, I can say if you put a kawi and kohl in the grass under heavy load most times the kawi will win out. But...I don't know what the brand new kohlers are now.

7. yard sloth

yard sloth LawnSite Member

should you disengage the pto at lower rpm's or does it only an issue when engaging? how many hours should be expected from a pto clutch when it's engaged/disengaged at high rpm's on a ztr?

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that engaging/dis engaring at any kind of high rpm's will smoke belts and clutches real quick, I don't care what some $$$ hungry manufacturers put in there manuals. I engage/disengage the clutch at idle, and have yet to ever have a clutch fail, or any other ill effects. Anyone that tells you that taking a device from rest, to full rpm's almost immedieatly, want's to sell you parts.

And I agree, I believe Kawi's are a little more powerfull/underrated from the factory myself as well. I don't care though, I want a v-twin diesel that will replace either!! :waving: Are you listening Kubota, and Yanmar :sleeping:

9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i sell and repair a lot of these engines and the truth be known...
    i do more warranty on the kaw. than i do on the kohler if i had my way i would not have a kaw.on anything in my showroom.

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Sawman, you're not the first dealer that I've heard this from either.. I was looking at Bad boy's with the liquid colled Kawi 27, and the dealer told me that 5 different machines they had sold with that engine ahd been back in for warranty work, something about plastic parts on the camshaft... Kinda made me feel better about my Kohler. Which hasn't given me problems, so far.