1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Great phone solutions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I just checked out Vonage, "The Broadband Phone Company." They have some great deals. They give you an adapter and you run it through your broadband internet connection. It doesn't matter who your internet service provider is. You can get 500 minutes for $14.99/Monthly or unlimited calls to anywhere in the US or Canada for $24.99/Monthly. They have other service packages, but these are the two most appealing to me. There are no contracts, pay as you go basically. You can also keep your current number if you want to. You can change your area code also. You can live in Ohio and use a California area code. You can also get a tool free number (800) for an additional $4.99/Monthly with up to 100 minutes. You can obviously add more and extra minutes are extremely cheap. What do you guys think? It seems like a good deal. I could have a cell and a home phone for mowing only and it would be very affordable.
  2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I have had vonage for over 2 years. great company some down time, but no more than AT&T or the other bell syndicates.
  3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I'll be switching back to cox digital. I get a lot of garbled transmission.
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Have vonage for about 1 year now. More than happy with it.....my wife is from Boston, so there are no more long distance bills, flat rate of 24.99 per month. Just make sure you understand the deal with the 911 service.
  5. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I was responsible for IT (Information Technology) at a large company.

VoIP (digital phone) is frequently used by large companies to integrate the smaller satellite offices. It really can be a huge money saver, but there are a number of drawbacks if it is used in residential settings, as the network infrastructure was never designed to support real time applications or to be “always up”.

Don't disconnect that land line yet ..... John
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Why not. I have vonage as my "land line" with no significant problems for two years at this house and 1+ in NYC. it works great. occasional line garble, occasional hardware issues. But certainly with no more frequency than when I was dependent on a baby bell. And It is a whole lot cheaper.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I might check this out now that I seen the price, I'm paying $50/month for my landline... What a rip these bell / at&t ppls are.