1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

great start with a new customer!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TeamYardsale4, Apr 20, 2013.

1. TeamYardsale4

TeamYardsale4 LawnSite Senior Member

Darryl I tend to get about 75% of the jobs I bid on for just myself to do but when I do mulch jobs or cleanups that require me plus another guy I end up getting just under 50%. I appreciate the input and don't want to be that "low ball" guy! I feel myself getting better with estimates after my first year last year! I barely profited a few jobs last year so I've gone up alot and gotten much better!
  2. TeamYardsale4

And Patriot I'm certainly that typical new guy with very low overhead for only taxes and insurance and all my USED equipment is payed off. I haven't seen many guys on here mowing with a JD F510 mower like me lol but I'm trying to build a solid client base while working my full time job and a 15 month old at home! Slowly but surely one day I will be doing it full time and I can't wait
  3. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I think you under charged. I did a spring cleanup last week for $240. I blewl off under the deck and the hill in the back yard, edged the beds and mowed with a Jagger on. I was in and out in 2.5hrs on a 1/4 acre lot. I was back 4 days later for the weekly mowing at $40, and sold all new mulch @ $100/yd. I at 30/hr I think you under charged.
  4. TeamYardsale4

In my defense there are 2 separate companies around about 60% of my properties who advertise $55 spring cleanups and leaf clean ups on ANY size property that make me very nervous everytime I give a estimate for any kind of cleanup. But I stick to my guns and if I get it I get it and if not then I don't. I'm not trying to do this for just some side money and after some of the replies here I will be looking a bit closer at my hourly rate but at this time like I said I'm still learning and open to all criticizing!
  5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

From your point of view he did. From my point of view he did. Why? Because mine and probably your cost of doing business is higher. Now here's the rub. He made money and he is happy with what he made. What are the chances the customer couldn't afford our prices, hence we wouldn't have gotten the job.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are the best customers to have!!!
  7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

When you get 75% of the jobs you are quoting your prices are to low.

The last clean ups I have done on quarter acre properties I charged $180, $225, $216, plus sales tax. They all took 3 hours to do.

I see ads all the time where cleans advertised $99. With the fine print starting at.

Try to sell on your quality not your price.

Hope this was helpfull. When starting out in this business it feels good everytime when you get a job.
  8. Familylawncareservice

Familylawncareservice LawnSite Member

We just booked another large spring cleanup for $750.00 charging 37.50 per man for 10 hours. He is inline with his charges.
  9. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

OH BOY! :hammerhead::clapping::laugh::nono:
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Nice. See, you just gave yourself a 25% raise!