1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

green industry and green movement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crew, Apr 23, 2000.

1. crew

crew LawnSite Member

In the spirit of the 30th annual Earth Day, I'm trying to think of ways I can do this type of work and try to be a good steward of the environment.Random thoughts:<br> ethanol- any experiences with using it in smaller engines?<br> growth inhibitors- if you only have to fire up the trimmers every third week thats good ,right? Or are we just trading one evil for another? What are the environmental implications of these products?<br> Alternative fuel vehicles- I'll be buying a new truck in the coming year. Can a propane powered or other alternate stand up to the rigors of our type of work?<br> What is anybody else out there doing to help protect the environment?<br> Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.<br>
  2. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

On this earth day lets remember we are in the front lines of the green industry. We should be an example to others, but our industry is a major culprit in the spread of toxins. We spread chemicals indiscriminately, and in most cases without knowing the consequences. for those who think that chemicals are safe because the govt. sanctions them, haven't you ever heard the horror stories about DDT? How about thalidomide? Both approved by the govt. and both disasters. Do you think that lawn chemicals are safe? Have you had your blood checked lately? Have you everseen farmers who have had chemical poisoning? Think it never happens? Better check it out.<br>Do we need to spread chemicals to maintain turf? Personally I think chemicals are a crutch used by operators because they have limited or no horticultural training. Many applicators don't even have a licence. How many keeep up on their training? Are the guys at the end of the hose trained? By what I see not many in the industry are very well informed or care. Put a band-aid on the problem. Repeat each year. Charge the customer and for goodness sake don't educate or inform anyone of the consequences.<br>The chemicals used on lawns are licked off by pets and children once they are transfered to their hands(or paws). These compounds are also brought into the house on shoes and deposited in carpets etc.<br>On this earth day read Rachel Carson's Silent Spring and try to think of the end result of your actions. Research what is going on with the frog populations. Scary stuff.
  3. crew

crew LawnSite Member

Kermit, thanks for reply and I hope you are a cynic.The reality is that economic necessity usually trumps idealism. My question is ,given that , what do we do where the rubber meets the road to continue to make a living while still being concientious.<br>Much of what you say is probably true but when it comes time to make the sale, most people will not pay a premium for lawn care that that is environmentally friendly. Sure I'll try to be careful and only do whats necessary when it comes to chemicals, but I want to know what people are doing on the fuel consumption front or other less obvious places I could probably do better with out having to move into my trailer{although that would be one way to cut down on travel time and thus, fuel consumption}.
  4. kermit wrote:<p>&gt;We spread chemicals indiscriminately, <p>Who exactly is this &quot;we&quot;. We means you and I.<br>You said in past post you don't have a pesticide license right?<p>Smart applicators don't just apply pesticides<br>because the can. They apply because the have to prevent or remeady a certain situation.<p>If you want to do something about the over use of pesticides stop playing golf.<p>Or eating store bought veggies.<br>
  5. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

Stone, as usual you have opened your mouth before your ears. I don't spray chemicals but do use biological controls. We means the industry, not me personnally.<br>There are many companies making money by using organic methods, look around, and they are making money.<br>Second, who said I play golf? Chasing that stupid ball just ruins a good walk!<br>Stone, do you have any kids? Do you care about them as much as you care for fellow maintenance workers? I get ticked that others use chemicals and have no problem with the drift which blows all over me when I'm outdoors.<br>I have seen many applicators apply spray for cinch bugs because lawns may be infested. The contracts are drawn up in the spring before anyone knows what the season will bring. How are your contracts set up Larry? Do you only use chemicals as a last resort or &quot;just in case&quot; ?<br>Are you following good horticultural practices such as overseeding and applying low nitrogen fertilizer? Or are you stressing the lawn so that it is unable to fight back? We all know that a thick lawn cut at the right length is the best defence against weeds and needs less water. All I'm saying is lets look at the fundamentals before running to the big chemical companies whose goal is to sell lots of expensive crap we may or may not need.<br>Around here the Weedman is a major player and a major problem. The guys on the end of the hose aern't well trained, don't follow safe procedures and spray without thought. The high nitrogen fertilizer makes the lawn look great, but it then needs more water and the nitrogen runs off into the watersystem and adds to the algea. The farmers are using less herbicides and fertilizers than the lawn care industry, even golf courses have become more responsible. Many are Audobaun(sp) certified. Frankly I think our industry is twenty years out of date with our practices. Not all of us but some.<br>So Larry, if you don't make any decisions in your business strictly on the basis of profit and you follow good environmental practices, then I appologise to you and my hat goes off to you. If, however you have the disrespect for the earth that you have for us, then I hope you re-examine your business and try to be more responsible.
  6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Kermit,<br>I think Stone was referring to golfing and store bought vegetables as a benefit of pesticides. And as a possible area of concern. I dont think he was after you...
  7. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I am primarily a slashing (bush hog) contactor with mowing coming in second. As<br>my work involves land clearing I am not too<br>popular with the green movement.I was approached by a rather scratchy looking woman<br>in the street,the other day wanting me to join Greenpeace.When I told her I wasn't<br>interested,she asked what sort of work I do.<br>(I was wearing my co.shirt at the time).<br>I said land clearing,she called me a scumbag<br>and walked off. Most of the &quot;greenies&quot; over<br>here are lazy,dole bludging scum,who wouldn't<br>work in an iron lung. They cost a lot of people their jobs because of their incesant<br>bitching and whingeing.<br>Sorry for the vitriol,but these scratchy arsed feral hippies,really piss me off over <br>here.<p>Karl<br>
  8. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Spot treatments of liquid herbicides with a backpack sprayer vs. blanket spraying using a tank sprayer is a simple way to curb overuse of chemical while still achieving good weed control results.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com
  9. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

10. Hello Everybody:<p>LOL, I feel I did the environment & Earth a favor every day I was in business.<p>I kept the uneducated homeowner from doing all the damage that they could throw at mother earth.<p>I've seen them spread & spray insectcides on their lawns hoping to kill mole crickets that were putting dead spots on their lawns till you found dead birds in their lawn. <p>The reason they had dead spots in their lawn was because of thatch build up, their kids were to lazy to empty the grasscatcher. LOL<p>I've seen them pour gas & oil on ant beds, thus killing their grass & having dead spots for years. LOL<p>I think that was enough!<p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/