Green Industry Stats

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by turfproinc, Jan 24, 2003.

1. turfproinc

turfproinc LawnSite Member

Are there any good sites ya'll are familiar with that deal with green-industry statistics? In particular, I'm, interested in what the national average ratio of lawncare and landscaping business per household, i.e. one business for every 300 households, as an example.
  2. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn and Landscape Mag does a State of the Industry Report every year. I think the next one is due out soon. Not sure it gets to that detail but it is pretty good for essentially free research. If you are looking for demographics, the new census website is incredibly powerful as a tool.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I think that is where I saw one also, but it's been awhile. Very interesting stuff to see as a small businesses compared to larger business. How the larger businesses diverisify their services and what percentage of income in each service generates. The larger they get, the less percentage of revenue is from mowing and landscaping on one of the larger one....this is just an example. I would like to see another one when it comes out. If you do some research and find something, let us know......I for one would be interested.

4. turfproinc

turfproinc LawnSite Member

I'm digging and I if I come across anything useful, I'll post the links. Think I'll mosey on over to the Dept. of Agriculture site and see what I can find...
  5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

ALCA has info also. May be in book form to purchase.
  6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Its against the LS rules to post the link to that State of the Industry report here, but search & ye shall find. Also, you can check with the Yellow Pages. They do studies with those kinds of details. Not sure if they have the info tied together nationally between all of their regional offices, but I got detailed reports by county when they were trying to get me to buy an ad. Stuff like there are xxxxx number of people in ABC county that hired a Landscape Co in 2002 for example. Etc. etc. Lots of stuff.
  7. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member