1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"Green Lawn" service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJStrain, Aug 25, 2007.

1. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

Next year I'll be opening a lawn service related to only "green" mowers, blowers, trimmers etc. It will also promote only "eco-friendly" fertilizers, weed killers, etc. I think we should have a forum just for the "green industry". What do you think?
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Might be a nice marketing strategy to a select niche of tree huggers.

But on the other hand, it is a swift kick in the nuts to the rest of the industry.
  3. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There is a couple guys that have that started in our area....problem is that most green people don't believe in having lawns that need water or mowing...they plant native stuff. A guy in our homeowners assoc. is fighting over the fact they want him to mow/maintain his bufflo grass and he says it will kill it.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think the people that actually fall for that "green" crap are not the sharpest tools in the shed. I also don't think they are going to be clientel that will make you successful. Lets face it... it is a bunch of horse****... and I am not cater to the mindless people that believe in it.
  6. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

You hit the nail on the head!

Those people that believe in low emission power equipment, soil enhancing (vs. high chlorine, high salt, soil depleting) fertilizers, and IPM just don't GET it, do they!
  7. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Way to go Lawnworks! Tell us how you really feel about it! :clapping: :clapping:

Personally, I believe that we, as an industry, dismiss the green/organic segment at our peril. There are ways to profit by serving this demographic group, you just have to make the appropiate adjustments, learn new skills and some new thinking.

Haven't you guys noticed how anything "organic" is a lot more expensive? Think about it.

Let's see how it shakes out in the next 10 years.

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds to me like your're planning on becoming a "sheep herder"
  9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Ive got a lawn mowing account of a tree hugger that had the green people fert and squirt last year. She had more weeds than if she did nothing. Shes got one of the big companies now and they really dont do anything but put inferior treatment on and collect their money. I couldnt agree with the above quote more.
  10. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I'm not sure about "eco friendly" equipment (there needs to be a compromise between what is necessary and what will get the job done), but I'm not all that much against throw'n a few cow turds on the lawn. Best fertilizer known to man as far as I'm concerned! I'm still going to use Round-up though.