1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Green Machine Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DT Lawn Care, Jul 20, 2008.

1. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I bought this used Green Machine 3000M straight shaft trimmer and its the biggest trimmer I've ever used. I think its pretty heavy but worth it for the power. I heard they got bought out by John Deere in like '95 and said they would keep making parts but then discontinued them. I just wondered what you guys have experienced with them and do you know of a good online parts outlet?
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It is pretty hard to pin down parts for the Green Machine equipment. It has been manufactured by several different companies over the years. I do know that back in the early to mid 90's, that Redmax made them. Redmax has almost nothing available in the way of parts for Green Machines.
  3. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

If its running, you might consider selling it and taking the proceeds to invest in a Stihl, Shindy, Redmax, or any of the commercial trimmers. A whole lot easier to find parts for.

If you plan on keeping it, you may give the folks at J. Thomas a call and talk with their rep about possiblly finding some interchangable parts. Their toll-free is: 1-800-828-7980

Good luck.
  4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

They are made in the same factory as Homelite now.
    In '95 ('96? '97?) John Deere bought Homelite, but then found out what a turd that company was, so they sold it to an asian manufacturer.

So, yeah, basically it's a throwaway.
  5. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 3000 SS in 1983. Still got it. I don't know where my dealer gets parts, but he gets them. I recent years, I've replaced the bump-feed head, carburetor (not an exact match), ignition coil, ignition module, piston rings, etc.

I like it. I've cut down several trees with it!
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

awesume unit! i have one still working too-just use it till it dies. the carb you can still get from walbro. try a redmax dealer for any other parts you might need. since redmax made this unit -they might be able to get some parts .
  7. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

One of my customers just gave me his green machine trimmer. It is a split shaft model that is 15 years old. The guy has always put the wrong fuel mixture never done any maintenence and has had gas sit in it for a long time and I went to start it and it fired right up. It sounds like a strong unit. It was a 2400 something kind of model.