Green machine Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Planet Landscaping, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Got a fella with a couple Green Machine 21cc trimmers with straps and manuals( new ooooold stock)? Look real tough, No plastic on these babies. Any good??I use Shindy t260s now. Worth $90 each??:rolleyes:

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i would think they are worth 90$ even for a backup set

3. above all

above all LawnSite Member

I found a Green Machine Advertized as a John Deer in a Hartland cat, two years ago for 99.00. Stick Edger with metal head, Robin engine 24.5cc. I've been running it since. My large edger never see the light of day any more. Jammer if they have a robin on them which i bet they do . grab em..

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking early 80's oooold?? If so they were a great trimmer back then, but things definately got lighter in recent decades.

How old ya talking?

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Used to have/use Green Machine trimmers, they were the best at the time. Being the age they are, would wonder about the reliability of the gear head and possible replacement parts.

6. TOOLSHACK

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

If you have the old original Green Machines... I'd get them just for the novelty of having some old, still-working equipment.

The original Green Machine trimmers were actually made by Zenoah in Japan... basically Redmax. They were actually THE best selling trimmer in the United States at one time. After some poor decisions, on the part of the American gentleman that owned the name "Green Machine", and the fact that he failed to pay his bills to Zenoah... that name was lost and it became what we all know as Redmax.

After the above mentioned snafu, I'm not sure if the guy ended up carrying on the name Green Machine... after swindling another manufacturer to build it for him?

FYI... 2009 promises to be a great year for Redmax products. The company has some major players running the company now...one of the big guys that made Echo such a success is now with Redmax, as well as some of the best engineers that defected from some other companies.

Also recently discovered that several manufacturers are actually paying Redmax for the right to use some of their patented technology... as well as actual engines and parts on some machines.

7. plyscamp

plyscamp LawnSite Member

Well Toolshack your story on Green Machine sounds good but its not true. The gentleman who owned Green Machine was my boss back then. Red Max would not exist if it were not for that gentleman. The reason Green Machine went under was 2 fold. His Vice Presidents stole him blind and each had there own business thanks to him when he went under, the second reason was the equipment was built so well it outlasted Zenoahs (Red Max) parts supply.

I might also add that Zenoah was only one of many engine suppliers to Green Machine. They also used Shindiawa, Mitsubishi, Mc Collugh and others. Some of the firsts that are still being used today are the very first single ratio 2 cycle oil ONE MIX, Combi units as you know them today EX PANDIT, Things like Keystone piston rings that had never been used in turf equipment, The first tap and go heads, rotating eyelets for the cutting heads. And a support staff that was second to none.

So before you bash someone make sure your facts are accurate.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have several of the old green machiens still working! no doubt was the best you could buy back then