Green Me Up !!!!! Please ! ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lost Pine, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

Ok People,

I'm new to the Lesco Scene, what would I put on my lawn in NJ now to green it up WITHOUT encouraging too much increased growth ????

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Apply iron, or you could paint it green, that wouldn't encourage growth. :D

3. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Lost Pine,

Lesco's Iron Plus comes in a 50 lb bag. Item # 080300 This is what you are looking for. Be sure to blow ALL fert off of driveway and walkways to prevent staining. Do a soil test also to make sure there are no elements in short supply......

Pete D.

4. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

water always helps

5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

urea works good LOL, but ull prob be mowing 2x oer week, make sure u also water very good

6. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

This is part of the fun...I talked to my (St. Louis) Lesco guy about this same thing, and he steered my away from Iron Plus . He said it was just too pricey and that the results weren't what he expected. Instead he suggested 5-10-31 for less than half the price. I went with his suggestion....

7. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

AND.....? What were the results ...?

8. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Very good...initially. What I would call a nice "stadium" green. The results lasted about a month, but it's been very dry here, so now we're all back to brown. At least those of us without irrigation. My lot size makes it impractical to water consistently, so I intentionally let my fescue go dormant. Once the rains start again I'm hoping to bounce back quickly without having to do a lot of overseeding.

One of the reasons I went with the 5-10-31 was an alleged improved drought and stress tolerance. We'll see....

9. in the 5-10-31, what is the source of potash, and at what rate did you apply?

10. RedEarthLab

RedEarthLab LawnSite Member

Low amount of nitrogen plus iron and maybe some PK. Ironite may be good for you, about 5 lb/1000ft2 and some 9-24-24 1/4 lb per 1000 ft2 50% controlled release nitrogen.