green mesh in sod

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bligh61, Oct 14, 2010.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

5 year old house and account, lots of trouble with sod growing properly. The sod that was installed has a green mesh through it. It doesn't decay away. Any ideas?
  2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

That mesh is supposed to degrade in about 10 yrs. Most sod farms that are very busy use the mesh so that they can harvest the sod earlier. I live across the street from Johnson Sod Farms and they were using it during the housing boom to be able to harvest in about 2/3 the normal rate. Fescue was only in the fields 12 months normally its 16 at least. Didnt seem to affect anything but it will hold the rolls together better. Its a ***** to thatch a lawn that has it in it. Good luck you can aerate and seed the sh*t out of it
  3. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

The stuff is a pain in the ass. Its supposed to degrade by way of the suns UV light decaying it.... Its also used around roadway work on embankments etc....
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I've heard too. But how does that happen when it's in the ground. Are UV rays like Superman x-ray vision? Can't remember earth science class now. For the poster, if it gets caught in equipment, you can use a small propane torch to melt it off CAREFULLY!
  5. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

I hate that stuff.