Green one week, Brown the next

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, Jun 21, 2002.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Man I cant believe this weather in NW Ohio. Just two weeks ago I couldnt keep up with how fast the grass was growing because of all the rain we were getting , then just two weeks later with little rain and warmer temps all my lawns are starting to turn brown already. This sucks! Hopefully this dont keep up because I already have customers that are talking about bi-weekly c rap. I told them I will be there every week to inpect the lawn and if it needs it, I cut it. What do you guys do when the front yard is brown from direct sun and dont need to be cut, but the backyard has trees so it is still green and growing? Do you charge full price? Anyways hopefully this doesnt keep up. Later

Lasher66

2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually charge full price. But that's how I bid most jobs. I tell them it takes a lot longer in the spring, so the time equals out when it takes half the time in Aug.

I just can't believe it's happening in June! We need rain despritally here in Northern IN. For the lawns, and the farmers.

3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I always charge less for a partial cut, minimium half-price.

4. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

If you have an appointment to get your teeth cleaned and the doctor only "has" to do half of them... is he cutting you a break? DOUBT IT! If i have to take my equipment off its full price. It's unbeleivable how customers of this market think we can do this stuff for peanuts. Ilove this business but I think its one of the most under rated or underpaid lines of work to be in. No one gives the plumber any lip for service call charges. No one tells the phone company they only was to pay $20 a month for service instead of $30. No one goes to the gas station and asks for $10 worth of gas and after they get it say... while I'm here just top it off with the $10 I gave you. It rediculous! And we're suppost to bend over backwards and take that stuff. I have 1 truck 1 trailer 2 mowers weed eaters blowers. That one rig by itself is about $35,000! How are we supposed to make that back cutting lawns for $20? my .02....

5. rustybullets

rustybullets LawnSite Member

I know what you mean, Lasher. We are having the same conditions here in Kansas City. The past 2 weeks have been pretty brutal with no rain and 90 degree temps every day, but even worse - it is supposed to continue this way for at least the next 7 -10 days, ouch! My back lawn is almost all rye grass and it can't take the heat at all! It went brown almost over night! But I would encourage you to charge full price unless it is a very special customer.:blob2: