Green Question - Get Rid of Ole Paint&More

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ed2hess, May 25, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got about 50 cans of paint varnish linseed oil turbentine etc etc. Now if I take it to our city chemical waste they would arrest me. I would be send home with half the stuff. And for the rest I have to have a bunch of paper work with each kind of stuff.

So I do a google.....they say pour concrete mix in all the paint and spray or pour the other stuff in kitty litter. Then put it in regular trash. Good Idea:confused:

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

We leave tops open on paint and let them dry and then toss them in trash

Not sure about other stuff
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Thin it down with diesel fuel and spray it on all your landscape timbers and RR ties.

4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

City should be able to accept standard varnish, paint, turpentine, chemical waste, etc.

Bring 10 cans a month if you think the volume will get them nervous.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

They don't make it easy they are only open one day a week for a few hours and about 16 miles to the south.

6. C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

In latex paint leave the caps off and let them dry up, then just toss into the trash (leave the lids off) If its alot, pour a layer in a flat tray and let it dry, then pour another layer, etc.

Not sure if you've seen this, or if this is who you're talking about, but they are open 3 days a week (Tues-Wends and Sat)

http://www.austintexas.gov/hhw

7. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

might can donate to habitat or a similar charity

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In my city and I wasn;t aware. I tried the lid off thing.....got water in there and a year later the stuff isn't dried up. Thanks for info

9. funny, maybe its a california thing, but at the county dump, haz mat material can be brought by and disposed of with an appointment and up to certain quantities at once. All you need to do is show your d.l. that you are from that county. also, some of the local fire departments accept some and will dispose of it then.....they don't want to fight a fire at your home\shop with these chemicals in there.

Even our local transfer stations will take the stuff but you have to pay a fee and make appointment....check into it.

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

IM guessing a trash bag and the weekly pickup might get rid of it, but I dindt advize it.