1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

green socks & cut up legs from weed whacker

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jerseyguy800, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jerseyguy800

jerseyguy800 LawnSite Member

Does anyone out there have a solution from avoiding green socks that don't get very clean in wash & how to protect your legs when using the weed whacker while wearing shorts.
  2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

don't wear shorts while using the weedeater. wear work boots instead of tennis shoes. problem solved. that is unless you WANT your legs to look like hamburger meat in a couple years. Or you could always just not use the weedeater is you insist on wearing shorts....
  3. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

wear jeans and workboots.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

www.wechapps.com Yes, these things work. I have a set that I bought many years ago, and they've paid for themselves many times over. Check out the Deluxe Strap Chapps.
  5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Learn how to use your handtrimmer appropriately.
    If not, invest in an edgit and go from there.
    I literally wear shorts all year long and the only time I have "green" socks is when I am tramping through fields dove shooting.
  6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I was just reading about this as I wear shorts too. Some suggestions, cut off a pair of jogging pants with elastic bottoms and turn them upside down and put over legs...they also make something called gators for skiing.

I used to be the jean year round type, but this year I changed my jeans out for shorts and even if I get cut all to hell trimming I still feel better. Its a comfort thing for me...I cant move in jeans.
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have socks just for grassin' and socks for everyday use. The grassin' socks are obviously easily identifiable after the wash and dry.

I also have scabby legs. I guess I'm just used to it. In my earlier years, I went to Dick's and bought some soccer shin guards. Cheap and worked great.
  8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Last night when wife and I finished up a yard we went to Kohls...my legs were covered in grass and bleeding! I had ran into a rose bush so actually it wasnt from trimming, though I did have trimmer in my hand.
  9. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Buy green socks instead,

I have this problem also. I go through alot of socks.
  10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Wear Pants!