Green up my lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by scruff33, Jun 28, 2009.

1. T56 Impala

T56 Impala LawnSite Member

Kind of an old post but....

I've used ironite with great success. Only the granular and yes, it takes time. I have never used the liquid, but will be doing so this weekend on my front yard. I have also, in the past, used actual IRON shavings. If you have a machine shop near you, ask them to sell you the shavings (dust) from thier brake lathe. Wash it and use a magnet to pull out only the iron. (You don't want any grease or brake pad dust in the mix.) It works GREAT and lats a LONG time. If you have pets or kids, don't use these shavings!

2. scruff33

scruff33 LawnSite Member

Tried the liquid Ironite. Here we are two weeks later and all it did was waste a couple hours of my time. Lawn looks the same; never did green up AT ALL.

3. T56 Impala

T56 Impala LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. You probably already stated it, but what kind of grass is it? I'm wondering if it has to do with the type.

There is one other "trick" I was told some years ago. If you use the blue miracle grow powder, mix it up in a hose end sprayer much more concentrated than normal, you can get a green "flash" from you yard. One of the landscaping companies I used to deal with on a professional level, used this trick whenever we had a need to make the corporate office look good. It only lasts a few days though. I'm sure a lot has to do with the colour of the stuff!

4. scruff33

scruff33 LawnSite Member

Fescue mix on heavy clay soil. What I really need now is a long term fix. Lawn looks beautiful in the spring and fall. Summer? not so much...

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

the soil probably has a low N level so the lawn is slow to benefit from the iron

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

What zone are you?

7. benjammin

benjammin LawnSite Senior Member

I think he's Zone 6, Cincinnati, OH. I lived there till 95, I remember most yards go dormant during the heat of the summer.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

That sounds about right...when it hit temps in the 90's fescue looks like crap!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

There are no "tricks" or "secrets" to green up a lawn in the middle of summer in a few days.

The only "trick" is to keep the lawn watered ahead of time so it does not burn out in the first place.

10. scruff33

scruff33 LawnSite Member

Watering is not the issue. We've had plenty of rainfall this year. UNLESS, maybe fescue grass on clay soil needs extra watering?