1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

green water

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by jd-dave, Jul 30, 2006.

1. jd-dave

jd-dave LawnSite Member

ok my water has gotten really green over the past week how can I get it clearer. I think the frog thats made my pond his home is making it like that but I have a few gold fish in there. and i have a biofilter in there with bio balls that says its soposed to keep the water clear???
  2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like aglea. Some the experts can tell you more. I wonder how much water is flowing the filters.

Algea is usally caused when the water temperature is elevated, the water is not moved enough, and by-products, well an over abundance of it tends to feed algea.
  3. jd-dave

jd-dave LawnSite Member

well I have two pumps in it and a biofilter. it is hot out here. I think it is algea but is algea bad and how do I get rid of it
  4. incrediscape

incrediscape LawnSite Member

What kind of system do you have?
    Billie Tx
  5. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

all algae is caused by to many nutrients in the pond ie: fish waste, sunlight, fertilizer etc. this greean water is a pain to get rid of.. I would suggest more oxygen and a water change. you can get more oxygen by making your returns from those pumps make bubbles...oxygen.
    I would stay away from most products the peeps at the fish store tell you to buy.. unless it is ACCU-CLEAR..
  6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

7. poiuy qwerty

poiuy qwerty LawnSite Member

there is a product called Green Clean. i purchased it from Aquarius Irrigation. it was the only thing that worked for me.
    alos you may want to consider installing a UV light.
  8. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

How many gallons does your pond hold?

9. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 LawnSite Member

all ponds do go through an alge cycle. It usually happens in the spring before the plants get a chance to really get going ( water temp is @ 65 deg ). Do you have rocks & gravel? If you don't you will forever have problems. All the fish waste and debris the fall in your pond will sit there. If you have the rocks & gravel you will have more surface area to grow beneficial bacteria. This bacteria helps to break down waste & debris. Aqua clearer will help get the bacteria started (this is bacteria, not a chemical). If you use a uv light you will kill good & bad bacteria both. Plants will also help your problem. Plants compete for the nutrients that alge needs. Changing your water will be a short term fix as the pea soup water condition will return again. If you have a complete eco system your pond will be almost maintenance free. Hope it helps.
  10. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Your statement about nitrifying bacteria being killed in ultraviolet sterilizers is not true. U/V sterilizers can only kill organisms that pass through them. Your nitrifying bacteria colony doesn't float around the pond. Sure, some nitrifying bacteria will be floating around the pond, but the bulk of the colony is attached to the surfaces of the pond. Obviously, the biological filter houses a good portion too.

U/V sterilizers will actually help to prevent Spring algae blooms. Another reason they can be so useful in a pond.

Your statement about having rocks and gravel being a mandatory requirement in a pond if you don't want to have problems is also not a true statement. In fact. A gravel bottom can cause problems if you don't do extra maintenance to clean it.

My pond has bare liner on the floor and walls. My pond is 6'7", or 6'8" deep and when the sun's out. You can easily see the bottom. My nitrite, ammonia and nitrate levels are almost non-existant too.

I'm telling you all of this to show you that if a pond has proper filtration and is designed properly. You will avoid a lot of problems.

Nitrates are the nutrient you're talking about that plants feed on and consequently take out of the water, so algae has nothing to feed on. Water changes will help lower his excessive nitrate levels until he gets plants in his pond, so water changes will help, not hurt his cause.