Green Water

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by IRRITECH, Jul 25, 2011.

1. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

Depends on the cities if the levels higher or lower for tap water but wells are all high here..
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Well water is usually has a very low level of dissolved Oxygen (Anoxic). Adding proportionally large amounts to a pond can cause real porblems for all aquatic organisms from bacteria up to fish, they all depend on ample supplies of oxygen.The other problem with UNTESTED well water is that you do not know the levels of heavy metals, hydrocarbons or other harmful pollutants that may be present. Many wells across the country have been shut down because of the presence of these contaminants.

3. tadpole

I would opt to use tap water in that scenario. If it is buffered properly, the only change in pH should come from the normal diel variance.

4. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

It depends on the cities some are high some are not for tap water.. Wells are all high here though
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. tadpole

UV clarifiers are a waste of money when proper natural balances between plant and animal is maintained.

How do you know if your pond is healthy if you never test it? Clear water doesn't mean healthy water any more than Green Water means unhealthy water. Water quality imbalances do not always produce immediate change in fish behavior, some damage is cumulative and will evidence itself only when it is too late for a remedy.

6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I agree but as long as my water is clear, fish healthy, Water lillies green and blooming I have no need to test. Most people have no idea of the chemistry of water and start adding chemicals to correct one problem only to create another problem. On another note, if a pond is simply in place to hold water and not life, why not install UV to at least keep it clear?

7. tadpole

Testing is the ONLY means of accurately determining the status of any mechanism, whether organic or mechanical. Your doctor runs tests, your auto mechanic runs diagnostics, foods are inspected and tested and on and on.

8. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Good post. Nice analogy.