Greenbug aphids

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jul 10, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I found 'em today for the first time this year. Location: West Des Moines, IA. (Kentucky bluegrass) Anybody else seeing them now:usflag: ?

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

aphids on turfgrass? Usually they aren't in large numbers to cause damage?

3. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

in turf?

never saw it:)

now in crape myrtles, thats another discussion

4. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Our properties with water gardens are infested with them, they are not on the trees because we hit them last year with merit. Go figure

5. americanlawn

from midwest

I found more greenbug aphids today (Altoona, Iowa). Received an email from my State's head entomologist...he said my report was the first (yesterday). Fall webworms on mulberries last week, and now aphids in K bluegrass........seems the bugs are now hatching. Fun fun fun!

6. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

I found them on two of my lawns today in Central Minnesota. Now that I have found them, what do I do about it? I am not familiar with treating for aphids. Last year, they caused turf damage on a couple of my properties. I tried a search on lawn site to find out more about them and didn't come up with any significant results. I don't understand why some lawns are affected and others are not and why the affected area is only under some trees but not under all of the trees on that property.

I am a licensed applicator and have been for six years but have never come across this problem before. So I turn to you guys on lawn site. Any suggestions???

I have Malet but I am suspecting that there is a better chemical I could use; one that I could put in a backpack sprayer and treat just the affected area and not use a skid sprayer. Any ideas?

7. americanlawn

from midwest

Thought we'd see them here in central Iowa (I-35/I-80) by now, but so far it's just "rust" on ryegrass.

Almost any insectide will kill 'em .... even using a fine mist out of a backpack. I use talstar, but that's like using an atom bomb on a mole hill.

Here's what I consider the best link regarding these little rascals:

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1992/7-15-1992/aphid.html

Thanks for the update. :waving:

8. lazyike

Thanks for the link americanlawn, I realized last year (too late) what was happening and now its starting again same lawns, and under the same trees, do they only affect certain grass types or am I just lucky?
    Should I spray under all trees on this lawn or just the affected area?

Just when I fix one problem another one pops up. " I just wanna dance"

9. americanlawn

from midwest

Just the affected areas. But keep an eye open regarding these lawns, cuz they may be prone to get aphids next summer.

10. lazyike

Just couldn't get them to smile so....... I killed them. mmmmwwaaah

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg