1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse on top of house, what kind of pump?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Lindgren, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Lindgren

Lindgren LawnSite Member

I am installing a small irrigation system on top of a house For a small greenhouse. I would like some assistance in selecting a cheap but reliable/durable pump that can withstand cold weather. Also if you have any suggestions for sprinkler heads that may have to run during the winter... would be great

Greenhouse Scenario
    --- Water and pump on the side of the house. Tube/Hose runs 22 feet vertically up the house. 30 feet over the roof to this small greenhouse with a few sprinkler heads and drip hose.

With suggestions, links to the product would be appreciated... Thanks!!!
  2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

any pump will withstand the cold weather if it's in a heated and protected environment. you'll need to calculate how many GPM/PSI your needing and go to a pump supplier and get one sized.
  3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

When you say cold weather how cold are we talking about :waving:
  4. Lindgren

Lindgren LawnSite Member

The pump would be on the outside of the building. So it would need to withstand Minnesota winter weather- today was -10 :/.

I suppose a non-heated enclosure could be provided.. .any ideas?
  5. Lindgren

Lindgren LawnSite Member

Im looking for something very small. Perhaps 1 gal/min. This water would be short burst for the plants... Any well known supplier recommendations?
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Outside the house makes little sense in Minnesota. Too cold.
  7. Lindgren

Lindgren LawnSite Member

What about inside a garage?
  8. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Anywhere the temperature get's below 32*, you are going to have frozen water, cracked pump's and broken pipe's. And that probably include's your garage. You will have real problem's trying to keep a greenhouse going in winter in Minn.
  9. Lindgren

Lindgren LawnSite Member

Okay, say it is 32 degrees out. I have a liquid storage tank (water) right next to the house/. Can you send me a link to what type of motor you would use to suck water out of the tank, up the house and over to the green house? Keeping in this will be spraying plants, a few short burst of water- low flow high pressure???
  10. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not making myself clear, if it's 32* or below, none of what you want to do is going to work. Your water will freeze, your storage tank will split, your pipes will split, your pump will split. I am totally serious. The only way around this is to have everything inside, including your water supply.