greenhouse/shade structure

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by CNYScapes, Jan 30, 2007.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I will be opening a new garden center in the near future. The town is giving me a hard time about the greenhouse, they want me to get a variance for it. I think they might let me put up a shade structure with no sides. I will only be selling the annuals,perrenials and other plants: no growing. Can I keep these annuals and perrenials under a shade structure or do I need a greenhouse to store them plants for retail sale?

2. BONESTEEL'S

BONESTEEL'S LawnSite Member

A green house is a temporary structure. You can not get insurance on it. Do you have a greenhouse now? if not I would make it a (show house) nice benches, brick walk ways. Make the sides roll up for air flow. Less $$ than having fans. & because your in CNY it would be nice to get your plants out of the cold on Mothers day when you have
    6" of fresh snow.

3. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I run a seasonal garden center like you are talking about. I have used one of the Seasonal retail greenhouses for 15+ years. By Poly-Tex
    http://www.poly-tex.com/index.html

A 20'x60' decked out with benches will run you about $10K but you can just buy a basic kit and build your own benches. I did that for some time and it worked but the benches you buy look nicer and are easier to store. (we use a semi trailer) If you have 1 guy that knows what he is doing and two (GOOD people) to help you can put it up in 8hours. Another hour to stretch the top cover. I replace the top cover every year we set it up for a cost around $200. We do this in a parking lot of a store.
    I think the problem you are having is they think you are going to build a greenhouse with glass and everything. I apply for a temp. permit (5 months) and never had a problem. Of course you will have to take down the greenhouse at the end of each season.
    A shade area will work but you should have a place that can be closed up and heated. YOU WILL get caught by the cold one day. I rent a heater from the gas company (construction type) In fact they may give you the heater to use just as long you buy gas from them.