Greenhouse

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ztrguy, May 2, 2006.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Anyone have a greenhouse? I'm looking to build a greenhouse this spring and would like to get some ideas from those who have them. And as always, post some pictures if you have them. Any tips or ideas when building a greenhouse? Thanks!

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

our school has a terrific green house. built by team of people who specialize in building them, i will take some pictures of the exterior and interior tomorrow.

3. ztrguy

from NE FL

That's cool! I would greatly appreciate some pictures of it! What do they mainly grow in the greenhouse? Do they offer a variety of different things or just focus on one particular area? Thanks again!!!

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I made some myself. I used PVC pipe and PT lumber. Go to a plumbing supply house and get 20' sticks of 1" pipe. Get PT 2X6's and build a "sandbox". Build the box so that it is between 8' and 10' wide. The length is up to you. Bend the 20' sticks and screw them to the inside of the box at 3' intervals, for the length of the box. They are pretty easy to bend, and will not snap. Put the screws right thru the stick and into the sides of the box. Run laterals down the middle of each side and one down the middle of the top, to keep an even spacing for all of the "ribs". I use strapping, from the lumber yard, and use 16' lengths. I use sheets of "OSB" to fill in the ends, and screw them right to the face of the end PVC sticks. Sink a skill saw into this to cut-out a door and then add hinges and a hasp. Buy a roll of at least 4 mil. clear plastic to cover the whole thing. Cover the skeleton with the plastic, and secure with screws thru some more strapping, ONLY along the bottom skirt and around the end arches. DO NOT fasten anywhere else. You now have a "homemade greenhouse".

5. ztrguy

from NE FL

Thanks for the posts! Do you have any pictures of what you built? Please post them if you do! Oh by the way, how much did it cost you to build the greenhouse? And what were the dimensions of the greenhouse? Thanks!

6. jim dailey

I DO NOT have the means to post pictures, do not own a digital camera. My dimensions were: 8' wide by 16' long. That is a good fit for normal dimensional lumber: 8' and 16'. When the "box" is 8' wide, the stick of PVC that is bent for a rib of the structure, allows you over 9' of headroom at the peak. You CANNOT use any glued joints in this construction, for they will just snap. You must use solid one-piece sticks of PVC. I also made one, in particular, that I set air vents into the ends. The kind that you can open and close, to offset temperatures. Try to makea door in opposing ends, that way you can open or close one or both to control the temperature. A small fan inside of the structure to circulate the air is NOT a bad idea, either. An average 8' X 16' structure, including PVC, lumber, screws, hinges and hasp, and finally 4 mil. thick sheet plastic, should cost a total of about $200-$225. The lumber is the most expensive portion of the project.

7. bushhogman

bushhogman LawnSite Member

I hate to say this, but do not build it out of pvc pipe!! The pvc pipe is not uv protected and it will snap into a million pieces after 1 year in the sun. I know this because I built a 20x70 and it looked great when I finished but not so good a year later. The pvc pipe started to snap and shot holes right through the plastic,, what a waste of money and time. The second green house was built from a kit with steel post,,,

8. jim dailey

I DO NOT wish to start and argument, but I have some greenhouses around here, made out of 1.5" PVC, that have been standing for 12 years. Granted, I am in the Northeast section of the country, but the sun is on them each and every day that it shines. And I can remember several years past where the temperature was down into the teens below zero. The only problem that I have had with the PVC is that it has to be a continuous piece. DO NOT use any splices...for they will crack.

9. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

In your greenhouses, what plants do you grow? I have thought about trying to do this later on. Do you sell to anyone, or just grow your own plants to install yourself. I would think growing your own plants saves a lot of money, but does it require too much time??

10. jim dailey

I started the greenhouses just as a joke. The first year of plantings, and all of the neighborhood got plenty of free flowers. Then I started selling them to my Landscape customers. People would even call and place an order for the upcoming season. I was even driving my wife crazy with flowers everywhere around the house. Eventually it just got to be too much. My business was growing leaps and bounds, and that eventually was the end of the greenhouses. My daughter tried it one year for kicks, but soon lost interest. Now they just sit and stare at the sky.