Greenhouses and you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevyman1, Feb 20, 2004.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you "big business" guys have your own, on-site greenhouses and do your own plants to save money from buying them in the spring time? If so, how do you do it in terms of when to grow and where do you find the time? Does it save you a lot of money?

2. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I have had my own little greenhouse for several years now. I mainly raise for my family although there are a couple of country stores that I sell to. I am 33 years old and as a Child our family had a rather large GH business, so I have saw the time involved. So in my opinion, I say it is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too time consuming to be worth it. Gh plants need constant TLC and my little one that I have now, tries to keep me in it when there is customers to be done. Just buy wholesale from a GH and sell retail to the customer.
    I always like to joke around and say if time is money than working in your own GH should be illegal!:D
    But it is in my blood and I truly love it so I will probably always have a small one on the side.:blob3:

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We're up to almost 5 acres of covered greenhouses... it is run separately than the landscape construction business.... yes it has it perks.