Greenlawn valve service

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Wet_Boots, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The essential maintenance on Greenlawn valves. The first photo is a clue to why some installers loved them. Note the varied angles the poly pipe enters the valve box. No alignment worries with angle valves. Next are the old diaphragm, then the new one, in place on the valve body. Then a side-by-side of old and new diaphragms. This valve does not use any springs. Note the 'roll' that's molded into the diaphragm, just like one you could see on a loudspeaker. That flex provides the closing force. (for awhile, at least)

greenlawn1.jpg

greenlawn2.jpg

greenlawn3.jpg

greenlawn4.jpg

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Awsome pics!!!!!

ive never seen this valve before in my life...bravo boots

3. Seen a few here. Not real common though. Always get cut out. Parts is a PIA.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

How old are those valves? Never seen one up here.

5. Wet_Boots

Valves were maybe ten years old. System controller was a Toro Custom Command, the heads were Toro Super600s

6. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

so the heads outlasted the valves

7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Not many PLASTIC valves on the market that will consistently out live a S600 or a PGP. I've always thought that around 15 years is all you get from most rubber diaphrams.

8. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

Where was that job? I worked for a company out of bergen county that installed them. Their jobs are the only place i've seen green lawns.

9. Wet_Boots

Up in Rockland County, near Harriman.

10. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

I Wouldn't be suprised if it was theirs, we did the occasional job over the border. Morris and Bergen county irrigation was the name.