Grinded to a halt

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by JS Landscaping, Sep 13, 2005.

1. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Dont know about you guys in your area's but up here in orange county Ny everything has grinded to a halt for my company. No rain in weeks has turned the lawns into a sea of dead grass. With the high fuel prices people have second thought on the landscaping they were gonna have done and pushed a lot of jobs back until the spring. Guess I just have to hope for a good winter of snow. Havin slow days is nice tho, allows time for catching up on bookkeeping, snow removal bids, and equipment maitenence. Fall clean up season is just around the corner, trees are already starting to change colors, due to the lack of water.How is everyone else fairing in the the NorthEast?

James
    JS LANDSCAPING

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowing wise not good at all.I have lawns that have been skipped for three weeks now and still look like they were just cut.I only cut ten of my 30 accounts last week and i dont even think ill get 10 this week.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not much better here in NJ either :cry:

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in ne ohio and the lawns are growing like its spring again. That couple days of straight rain we had from the hurricane helped alot. I had a very slow summer (july early august) but its picking up pretty good. I already have the leaf equipment on the truck so I'm ready for leaf season, hopefully I do good with that.

Hope you guys get some rain or something soon!

5. rodfather

If we don't get rain from that tropical storm off the Carolinas in the next few days, it will be a very short season IMO.

6. JS Landscaping

Definatly a very short season, ive already started fall clean up advertizing just cause the leaves are starting to turn up here. I have a very large pond in my back yard and its probably down about 3 feet from the normal hight. Last year I dont think I missed too many weeks during the summer. This sumemr is the exact oposite. Only thing this drought will provide is plenty of lawn renovation work. They are taking a beating up here thats for sure. Definatly prayin for rain lol.

James
    JS LANDSCAPING

7. rodfather

Unfortunately though James, you may not be able to do that until next Spring. That is what I'm thinking at this moment.

8. JS Landscaping

That is true. I certainly do see a lota companies up here, even the larger ones with muliple crews on the road still out cutting absolutly nothing. basically just restripping the burnt grass and just kicking up dust. I dont understand how they get away with it. We cut 60 lawns in 3 days up here but now its down to maybe 20 lawns a week on a 3 week rotation. Sure do wish more of my clients had irrigation. Dont think the clients mind thier lawn bill for the month is definatly less. Hardscape installation is all we are doing right now, and even that has slowed some being the end of the season. Guess we just gota wait it out til leaf season and hope for some big snow storms payup .

9. rodfather

I hear ya on the snow...we're going from 3 to 5 trucks this winter.

10. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, a lot of money is riding on the path of that storm. I am stressing and would be relieved to see a wash out for the end of the week.I think its our only salvation.