Grinder

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GroundScapesIncorporated, Feb 25, 2007.

1. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

We have been doing alot of detail work with boulders and have just been using a TS400 for all special cuts. I know that we need a grinder, but just dont know alot about what is available.
    What are you guys using?

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 4.5 in bosch grinder. I do not know how i managed with out it. It helps me so much when i am doing cuts on curves with tight radius. You know when a curve is so tight if you cut the paver all the way through, the back of the blade will nic the paver and screw it up? Well i will cut the pavers (in place) as far as i can. Then i'll just wack each peice with a hammer and break the cut peice off. Then i use the grinder and cut the remain off the field paver.

I want to get some grinding cups this year and maybe even a larger grinder.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We just use a DeWalt handheld grinder for intricate cuts. I'll cut as much off as I can w/ the table or cutoff saw and then do the rest of the work with the grinder.

chris

4. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used one grinder that will outlast another. We go through as many as 12 a year but we use them almost everyday all day all year long. Currently we use DeWalt pretty much because you can usually get free blades or something with each one you buy. We like free stuff. Most importantly always buy a blade that matches what you're using it for.

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I actually use my grinder for way more than its recommend for. I use beast pvc edging for pavers. I use it to cut the edging to length and also use it to cut the tabs when i am doing curves with the edging.

6. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you on that MRusk....conduit, drain pipe, edging, etc etc. Gotta have a grinder!:)

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

cordless sawzall is my tool of choice for much of that.

Can't beat loppers for cutting snap edge -- although it's not the best with Beast.

8. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a sears grinder. When I bought it two years ago I also purchashed the replacement warranty for 3 years. They must have replaced that thing 20 times already. Not because its crap its because we abuse the heck out of it cutting and grinding things it was never ment too.

9. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

we use a dewalt grinder but with composite cutting blades. they wear out real quick thats teh only downside to using them. What blades do u guys use on ur grinders?

10. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

I use all dewalt grinders, however i dont use composite blades...i use dimond blades i mostly use my grinder for masonry resturation jobs. We repoint stone and brick work and they work great for grinding out joints.