grinding wheel change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobcatnj, Feb 16, 2006.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

how do you change the grinding wheel on a magna 9000. it syas turn it clockwise with the tool provided. how do you get the wheel to stop turning and get it loose?
  2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

there should be a pin you push in that locks the wheel down. if not there might be a hold you can stick a small rod into that will do the same thing.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i curious how many blades you get to sharpen with one wheel on magna matic. i would like to see a pic of a freshly sharpened blade by one of them .
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's one sharpened on my Magna-Matic 6000

Magna-Matic 0021.jpg
  5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Does the Magna Matic save you time?
  6. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

YES its saves ALOT of time. before i used a bench grinder but it didnt have as much power as the 9000 does.a couple passes with the 9000 the blade is done
  7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

YES, much faster than my previous grinder. Plus, it's hard if not impossible to turn the metal blue (loosing it's temper).

If you're like me, you'll agnonize over spending the money for a Magna-Matic but once you own one, you'll agree that it's worth every penny.
  8. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

hi how much is one of these things and where do u buy it? i would love to get a blade sharpener. i hate using a grinder
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

They're about 900 bucks or so, made me love my hand-grinder for a bit longer :)

But I know what they mean, it's like having an air-compressor with hoses and hydraulic tools... It hurts at first, but you never look back.
  10. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

That is a fine looking edge for sure. I'm a little curious too now about the price. But I sometimes have to remind myself of the saying "that the quality is remembered a long time after the price is forgotten."

So, how much is one of those Magna-Matics?

Today,I sharpened 6 sets (18 blades), and it took about 50 minutes with an angle hand held grinder. While I am satisfied with my edge, it really doesn't compare with that one in the pic.

Thanks for the picture.