Gross for 2.75 hours

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by toac, Jun 28, 2010.

1. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

From start to finish my gross is $222.88 for 2.75 hours of work. This is just standard lawn service only. Does this sound right to everyone?

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Depends what you're doing, how far you had to travel, how long it took you to set up for the job, how much time for the estimate etc. Don't forget to figure all of that in. But in most cases $80+/hour working by yourself is pretty good.

3. toac

Cut, trim, and blow only. 2.75 from start to finish, but I'll give a total of 3 hours total with travel time.

The estimate took a total of 5 minutes.

4. Darryl G

Sounds good to me.

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldnt retire yet....

6. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

It will sound right when you do it fifteen times every week.

7. toac

really...??? Thanks for the advice.

My point is that I'm servicing 12 lawns for 222.88. My average price $18.53 per lawn, or $1.23 per minute. Most people won't "drop their gates" for under 25, 30, 35, etc...

Don't be afraid of the small lots. I would love to have a full schedule of these small lots.

8. toac

You are absolutely right. I would love to do that. It would take a few years to get there, but it's definitely possible. And of course pricing would go up a smidge to cover the price of a helper, workers comp, etc...

9. Darryl G

Well ok, but you've got all the administrative time involved too for managing, scheduling and invoicing those customers. Still seems ok though, but just imagine what you'd be making if you were charging each a $25 or $30 minimum...

10. toac

As much as I would love to charge 25 or 30, my customers won't pay me that much for the 10-13 minutes I'm at their lot. I'm not servicing a "rich" area. The area I'm servicing is mostly older customers or single income families. The lots are no bigger than 5000sqft.

I don't invoice the customers. I have credit card information that is charged at the end of the month automatically. I understand that with the amount of customer's I have now it's no big deal, but 200 might be a different story. I hope to have an automated system once I'm at that point.

Scheduling will take some time, especially when you add several customer's a week, but I will take that as it comes.

Right now I am a laborer for my company. After the next year or 2 I will transition myself to be more of a business man as opposed to a laborer.