Gross on a 3-4 person landscape crew.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Feb 19, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I know...everybody hates these questions. My company does almost all landscaping jobs...no maintenance. I went full-time the end of last year, and was working 55 hour weeks, and had no employees. It really sucked. When I was doing estimates, nobody was working, when I forgot a plant nobody was working. It seems to me its almost a necessity for a landscaper to have at least one guy helping him. I did have friends helping out when they could on nights and weekends.

This year I am going to hire one full-time person, maybe another if work demands it. So I was thinking, what size do I want my company...how big do I want it? I was thinking one crew 3 guys, and me helping whenever I am not running around doing business. Maybe a half day work. What kind of numbers can I expect from 3 guys working with me there only half a day? Does anyone have a company similiar to this? Would I be more profitable with only 2 guys and me half a day? I am by no means out to make a huge company, I just want to be big enough to where I can be out there when I want, and I could be doing paper work when I want. And I want to net around 50,000. Is this attainable, will I have to go bigger to net 50,000?

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I know lots of 3-4 man landscape companies. Some make a lot of money and some make little money even though they work about the same amount of hours.

One guy I know has a two man maintenance crew that grossed $100k last year. What does any of this mean? Nothing. There are too many variables to begin to answer your question.

I also know some guys that make over $50k working for landscapers.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I work for a large company. Our daily goal for a 3 person crew is to gross $2500

4. drsogr

Thats the area I was thinking. Anywhere between 1800 to 2500.

5. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

if I understand correctly you are trying to gross 2500 per day or 12500 per week or 4166 per man per week. At a 35 week year that would be a gross of 437500. If you are able to do that with a three man crew I must be doing something wrong. I hope you can I am still working on reducing my overhead. I grossed just under 200k last year with a two man crew plus myself on a 35 week year.

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It matters what materials you are selling with the crew. Guys starting out with a three man crew are not typically moving $6,000 in materials each and every week per three man crew (roughly what you need to gross $2,500 with three man crew charging $50 per man hour). The market that spends that simply does not hire developing landscapers to handle that much money.

That is certainly accomplished by higher end landscape contractors - even smaller ones. It is not done by the vast majority of landscapers.

7. drsogr

Wow when you put it in the form of 437,500 it really does sound a lot different. This is why I put this out there....because I thought my number seemed unrealistic. Do you feel you and your crew were effecient? How many hours were you working with the crew? I know I could schedule $5500 a week.

Were you comfortable with what you netted?

8. drsogr

For the most part I am thinking long turn. I want to develp a 3-4 crew and make it effecient. I want to stay at that level. I don't want to be any bigger than that. So as time progresses all work will come from referrals, and we will only be doing high end installs. Thats my hope.

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

I had two part time helpers did almost $200K last year..
    if you stay busy there is NO REASON you should not net more than $55K... unless you are pricing way too low.

the landscape/pool maintenance division did $280K with 5 employees

10. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If our 3 person crew is doing primarily plant installs $2500 per day is easy. If they are spreading decorative rock or sodding a lawn than they won't get to $2500.