Ground Bees

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TG TURF CARE, Aug 31, 2006.

1. TG TURF CARE

TG TURF CARE LawnSite Member

Any Body Have Experience In Controling Ground Bees.....this Customer Has 25-30 What Looks Like Huge Ant Hills...but 1 Big Hole In The Middle Of Each Hill.....bees Every Where...please Lend Me Your Knowledge....t.g.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

apply seven dust to each hole, treat it in the early morning when bees are not yet active.

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Deltaguard is also labeled for this.

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

They are unsightly and look mean, but these kinds usually don't sting. They just buzz around their hole looking for a mate. Any insecticide will work. Check the label for whatever product you have or want to buy. I have used regular bee spray before. Dusting is probably the best way to go.

5. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

I question the not stinging comment. One of the guys here got nailed nine times this past week when he mowed over a nest.

6. turf hokie

I have not been stung nor know anyone that has been stung be a digger or cicada killer wasp. They do not have a "nest". So perhaps they were stung by something else.

7. upidstay

from CT

Digger bees are usually solitary, not social like Yellow jackets. If you ran over a nest of yellow jackets, as I have done more than a few times, then they definitely will sting you. Yellow jackets will nest in the ground if they find a void there, like an old rabbit burrow.
    "Digger" bees (there are several different species) typically don't sting because they can't. Cicada killers can sting, but usually don't unless you get really dumb and try and pick one up.

8. turf hokie

Are you speaking from experience??:hammerhead:

9. upidstay

from CT

No. Common sense always ran strong in my family. Just what I've read and I talked to a Dr. of entymology(sp?) about them once at a conference. Anybody dumb enough to pick up a 3" wasp deserves to get stung.

10. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I do not know much about these digger bees other than I ran over there hole with my walk behind mower and they tore me up I got hit 2 times in the ankle and it dropped me to the ground.I mixed up some seven liquid in a bucket and went back late at night and filled that hole.The next week when i went back the softball size hole was now as big as a basketball was really weird.

Brad