1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ground cover

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by olderthandirt, Aug 5, 2001.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I need some suggestions on what type of ground cover to install on an island in the middle of a 1/2 acre pond. The area recieves sun all day and the soil is clay. The objective is to put on a ground cover that will spread quickley and over hang the banks to the water level. The island has a small bridge to it but not big enough to get any equipment over to it except hand tools. I tried the usual ivey, pacha,etc. The island is about 35 by 50 ft. and in the northern part of Ohio. And before anyone tells me not to take the job becouse its to much work, I already know becouse its in my back yard! any suggestion would be greatley appreciated.
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

If this is for a no maintance Island then try wild grasses and flowers, If your looking for a ground cover then Ajuga might work. If you want something different then look at your local nursery, they should have a list of GC that might work.
  3. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Please fill in your location in your profile. :)
  4. ianc

ianc LawnSite Member

I hate to suggest this but Goutweed - will work great - has a varigated leag and you can watch it grow
  5. Bluegrass Group

Bluegrass Group LawnSite Member

I like Pauls' suggestion with the grasses. They always look like they belong along water features. You might want to try some junipers. They can handle the full sun. Try Blue Rug, Blue Pacific, Shore, put a group of grasses here and there and you should have a nice island.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The island has a gazebo on it so I don't want wild flowers as they grow to tall. The main part that needs covering are the edges as the land is approx. 1-1/2 above the water and the sides were cut steep to stop weed growth in the water. I'm trying to plant something on the top that will drape over the sides to stop any erosion that will be occuring. :angel: I like the Idea of butcher weed as I can control the growth. Now all I have on it is about 6 inches of wood mulch but it needs color and variety. I don't mind some maintenece as there is no such thing as "NO MATENENCE":D Thank for the suggestions and keep them coming
  7. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Crown Vetch?
  8. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

What about Liriope? Flowers about twice a year and once established, will not go anywhere. Mondo grass works great also, and it is available in green, red, and black.