ground cover??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NCL, Mar 10, 2004.

1. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

whats a good low growing ground cover thats out all year round and possibly flowers?? any suggestions?? full sun near a stream.

2. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Contoneaster, but flowers are very small and do not last long. Periwinkle, i do know that this is a shade tolerent cover but seem to think its also sun tolerent also(not sure) Hypercum ST. johns wort has yellow flowers all summer....

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

pacasandra. low growing, fast spreading, shade tolerant ground cover. tiny white flowers in spring.

4. allgreen lawn

allgreen lawn LawnSite Member

I agree with the pacasandra it's also low maitenance.

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Pachysandra doesn't tolerate a lot of direct sun too well.

6. culand

culand LawnSite Member

We use Green Liriope( Big Blue) ,has a large blue flower that flowers all summer. The other is Bar harbor or old Gold ( junipers).They don't flower but the color when mixing types makes a good backdrop.

Cultural Landscape

Making East Texas Landscape Flower All Year!

Landscape and Lawn Care.

7. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

pachasandia is a shade tolerent ground cover if planted in the sun it turns yellow much better looking in the shade where it belongs. Also takes a very long time for fill in....

8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure whether your idea of low-growing is what shrub people think of as low-growing or what perennial people think of as low-growing. There's about two feet of difference. If you mean under 12", I'd suggest small-flowered pansies. Here (Zone 3) they come out of the snow with green leaves and buds (from the past season). They bloom like crazy, crossbreed among themselves, and self-sow freely. I have large established areas that are in bloom from early spring to snow cover. They can be mowed (blade height 5") if they get too straggly.

9. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

So what do you suggest for a hillside with absolutely no shade. I have one property that has a poorly wood-chipped hill that is too steep to mow, so I end up trimming the weeds out of it. It takes forever, I've suggested they invest in sometype of ground cover. Is there anything I can plant now and have a decent stand of through this summer?? I really don't want to have to f with that hill again all year.
    thanks

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Creeping Mahonia, Bearberry, heathers and heaths,Japanese Holly varieties, azaleas, smaller Rhododendrons, Hypericum, ...

Full sun does not limit you very much.