Ground hard as a ROCK

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cp, Sep 19, 2001.

1. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I had overseeded earlier this month.....

Ground too dry and hard to get a aerator in, much less seed to germinate...

How late do you guys overseed?????Oct, Nov, Dec?????

2. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Have done some (Fescue) in Kansas as late as November, with fair results - germination is slow but most anything that comes up survives the winter. Is it possible to water the place down to soften things up? This will be desirable for germination anyhow.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would think that down your way you could bump your "window" up to the middle of October to have it planted.

I like to have our seed planted by the middle of this month, so that we will have 70% germinated and it cut once come the middle of next month to set it for winter.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

4. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Not sure if you're referring to me or cp, but here we normally seed in early September; but have had some decent results in November - so you probably have a pretty big window, also; the cool season grasses survive the first winter better than the first summer.

5. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I think next year if the weather permits I'm going to try and have most of it done by early September.

I'm just curious about how late to go?

6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry HJ I was answering CP - my bad LOL!!! :laugh:

You could always try to bump your window if youd like however, although I think that you would find the same dismay with your results as I would with mine given the time frames. LOL!!! :rolleyes:

Kris