Ground has definitely thawed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Feb 14, 2001.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Matt went out in the yard today to till up the garden. He thought the ground was going to be hard, but he said it was so easy to till, the ground is very soft. The nightcrawlers in our garden were abundant. It's a sure sign of an early spring. :)

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ground is still pretty firm up here in CT. extreme cold on the way for next week.

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Little early to be tilling...gonna leach out nutrients and end up messing up the soil. You'd never see a farmer out there this early. Everything I've read frowns on early tilling as doing more harm than good. Although I've had the bug to get out there and start doing stuff myself I find other things to keep me busy...like picking up twigs all over my property. ;)

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Just for something to do I go out in my yard and take the soil temperature once a week. The week before last it was 44.5 and last week it was 45.5. The soil temps are taken at 2" on a sunny day. I believe crabgrass germinates at 55 doesn't it?

5. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

Yes, to the crabgrass temp.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I wish it would wait until it means it.
    Shame to see all the peach blossoms falling off.
    But this keeps up we ll be green soon so im
    not going to complain.

7. russman

russman LawnSite Member

Well up here in Western New York we had a nice rain this afternoon to help get rid of those ugly snow piles. However by 6:30 this evening the ground was covered with that white stuff. I'm sure Spring will be here soon enough