Ground heaving and pavers??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ideal Lwns & Landscp, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Ideal Lwns & Landscp

Ideal Lwns & Landscp LawnSite Member

I have never installed a paver patio into November before and was wondering what is the latest I can install them before the ground heaves..When the ground temperature is below freezing for more than a certain amount of days??? Or does it not matter at all as long as I can stand the cold..LOL!!!!
  2. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

As long as there is no frost in the ground you'll be okay.

November is fine for installing pavers.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Ideal Lawns,

Here is a quote from this site.

"Keep in mind, if you live in an area subject to frost, you're pavers may become uneven over time due to ground heaving unless you excavate below the frost line in your area...which may be prohibitive. In severe cases, some people build a sub-base slab with reinforced concrete. This is generally unnecessary but if done right, will provide a monolithic base that should last the life of the structure. "
  4. Ideal Lwns & Landscp

Ideal Lwns & Landscp LawnSite Member

Thanks guys!! I have 2 more to do so hopefully I will get them in before the cold weather..
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea you should be ok for the rest of this month most likely and early november. We jus put in a 90 ft. Walk and steps. We have a few more jobs left.
  6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Frost is not really a problem even, this early in the season. As long as the ground doesn't freeze solid, you can excavate & install the correct base, and then go from there. A few days of frost here and there as typically starts our slow progression to winter around here won't affect you, because it's really just on the upper surface and won't move the ground really. I have done that type of work into December & January sometimes when winter didn't really arrive in those years. No problems. Just don't forget your hat, scarf & mittens if the colder air really bothers you that much. ;)
  7. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the ground hasnt froze yet I will install them. Although once we get a frost, I do take more precaution. Usually I put a five inch gravel base with a one and five eights base of sand under the pavers. If there has been frost, I add another four inces of peastone underneath the gravel. So in other words, when its frost I just dig deeper.
  8. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

This is a subject of concern with me because we layed several walkways and patio`s this season. With good drainage and using a compacted 4 to 6 " base ,screeded sand...commercial edge restraints, do we expect the customer to have uneven pavers ? Not trying to be smart just have never yet had a call from our work. Any of you guys have to return to rescreed ? I love paver jobs and we put our heart into them.
  9. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

"Return to rescreed"?? If the patio or walk buckles, I don't believe rescreeding fixes the problem, the base needs to be reinstalled correctly. If pavers are installed correctly to the manufacturer's specifications for your area, then you should not expect call backs.
  10. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Nov is fine for installation.

Just use common sense and be aware of a few problems.

One is freezing temps and water.

If it rains on your base, and then freezes at night, you basically end up with a frozen, unworkable base.

I find it best to be sure and wrap up each and every step in one day. For example, if you are doing a walk, make sure the base is dug, stoned, compacted, and set to grade the same day. If you compact the day before and have to fine tune it the next, you may find you have a fronzen layer of qp that the rake just bounces across.

If its really cold out, and I find that I don't have the time to compact and level the base out exactly, I don't compact at all. Non-compacted stone stays workable over night........if you pack it, it freezes solid. Also, you may want to have some tarps with you to cover the project up, as it helps keep the area a little warmer.

With the bedding sand, I try to only spread what I will lay. The bedding sand/dust, especially if it has a little moisture in it, will freeze solid like a rock, even if you get slightly cold temperaters. Trying to compact pavers on frozen bedding material is the pits.......and it makes the pavers are unable to properly be pushed in evenly.

The main key to working in the winter is to plan your projects out and not to take on more than you can handle....with the short days, and the cold morings, production time goes waaaaay down. Mainly, break your projects in phases that can be fully completed each day.