Ground Hog

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Feb 10, 2007.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

2. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

It would be handy for smaller area and short hauls.In my part of the country we working with mud and heavy wet clay !!!!!!! loading isn't a problem,but unloading gets to be a pain.Especially if the lip doesn't come far enough up.The mud or clay doesn't fall out like the nice dry crumbly dirt showed in the picture does.

So remember don't heap it up like in the picture in mud or wet clay or you will be trying to lift the whole scraper up and trying to dump it out unside down???? In the one picture where they are dumping you will see what i mean.Dirt is up against the lip dumping.If that was mud and you packed it in there it won't want to fall out because of clearence.

Just something to think about .I have a 16 yard hydraulic Ashland scraper that i pull with my dozer and i love it.They are well built,heavy duty .I did remodify the lip so it raises higher ,because of reason meantion above.Works better now,in the wet clay and mud,because of extra clearence.

3. Construct'O

from Sw Iowa

Has anyone else watched the vido of the groundhog scraper attacment yet.I was just checked it out since i have time to kill:rolleyes::usflag:

4. Construct'O

from Sw Iowa

Reason i was wondering about one of this was that i saw one at a dealer the other day and was wondering if anyone else had checked them out.

Went to the website and saw the video on ctl using the scraper attachment.

So thought i would call dealer and visit about it.Talking to the construction rep and told him i had saw it.Visited a little and then he told me about the $1000 rebate,which i already knew about from visiting the website.

Then here came the price!!!!!!:dizzy: Holy crap 15k for the Groundhog 2500 scraper attachment.Now i know why they have a thousand dollar rebate:dancing:.I told him i was wasting his time and thank him and got off the phone.

I figured it was high ,but not that high.Thanks ,but no thanks:walking:!!!!!:usflag:

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Ouch.

I never asked the price myself.
    I was thinking 5 to 7 k would be what they cost.

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

For $4000 you can get a Bobcat Dumping hopper with the same capacity and move soil with just a regular digging bucket, those scrapers are only meant for soft soils, and they do require a lot of pushing force.

I use mine all the time and I lined up a job to move 300+ tons of sand 400 feet for a new green house prep job in February.

Pictures 187.jpg

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

For the price of a new scraper unit and a new MTL/CTL, you could get a pretty nice used dozer that would move more dirt, faster. Waste of money, IMO.

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I second that.