Ground hornet need to eradicate

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kirk1701, Aug 10, 2011.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i used sevin dust and within 24hrs i had none left. i had about 30 in my back yard from tons of dif nests, was annoying and scared my dogs.

worked great and cheap. recommend it

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I was basically kicking at one, all it did was fly at eye level sort of circling me and took off.

It's not like it's a bear or gator that's going to really cause harm. Worst they can do is sting or bite.

3. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Yea, I've been doing just that in the holes I'd found. Now I see them fly in and go in the ground in places there is no dirt so slowly finding those also.

Problem is, others on here say if they do bite they can kill you :confused:

4. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Refer back to the link I sent earlier:
    http://www.showmejoe.com/thriller/control.htm
    He seems to deal with them on a regular basis.

I have a few of them in my yard. I've still never seen a female at home (although I have elsewhere), but have encountered many males flying around the nests. They've buzzed my head, and even bumped into me. Never been stung (which makes sense, because the males don't have a stinger).
    I've gotten close enough to to some that landed on nearby plants to get some pretty cool pictures. When I offload my camera's card, I'll post some.

Now I don't at all disagree with your fear of them. They're quite intimidating, and I'm not going to look down on you for killing any and all you see, but I for one choose very carefully where I apply chemicals in my yard, and use the absolute least I can get away with, which means for me, sparing these odd and interesting creatures.

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i dont care about them, but if my dogs wont go out to poop, then it is considered a pest. otherise, they dont bothe me that much, but this year was too much cuz i seriously had a swarm of them in my small back lawn.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Go back and reread Ric's post. He didn't realize they were cicada killers when he posted that.

7. rlitman

Pictures as promised:

DSC_2590.JPG

DSC_2591.JPG

DSC_2601.JPG

8. kirk1701

Nice pics rlitman

The seven don't seem to be working, they just move and drill another hole :laugh:

9. rlitman

You can see how close he let me get in the last shot, because one wing is in focus, and the other is not. I almost got him to land on me when something came up and I had to go.
    This was of a male, hanging around the nests. He buzzed my head a few times before deciding that I was not a willing suitor and landing.
    A few hours later I was back with the camera, and saw two males fighting in flight, but wasn't able to get off a shot.

I don't believe they live in the holes. The female digs the holes to place a paralyzed cicada with an egg in it. She then closes the hole. The egg hatches, and the larva eats the cicada until it is able to emerge from the ground. By then, the sevin is likely dissipated.

10. kirk1701

Do you know when the larva matures and surfaces?
    I ask because 5 or 6 years ago I had a thread on here in the spring with what looked like an ant mound, but no ants???

I never did find out what it was