Ground Hornets

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Birddog Lawncare, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Birddog Lawncare

Birddog Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

What's the best solution for Ground Hornets? I got stung 15 times on Friday evening, and it's itching like crazy. I need to know what to do to exterminite them?

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I got hit by a hornet on friday and it iches like crazy but I have benadrly ich spray. It says its for posion ivy and sumac it worked real well for my posion ivy. I just sprayed it on my arm last night at it works great for hornet stings. As far as getting rid of them. Try some raid or gasoline and a match always works well

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Gasoline? And why not just go to the store and buy "wasp and hornet spray"? Because gas is cheaper? Not that much, anymore. Spray can is 3 or 4 bucks, a bucks worth'll kill an underground nest. Get the right stuff, or you'll just make them mad.
    Yes, gas is also effective, but I have spring water here in the holler and I want to keep it clean.
    Crawdad

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want the cheapest, absolutely most effective solution, get some brake cleaner.... Kills em' dead instantly, and acctualy has a decent stream.. all for $3.00 or less...

5. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

Funny but I got stung 2 times today by a wasp (my hand is really swollen). I was pruning bushes and got hit twice before I could get out of there. I used this bee, wasp, hornet spray called Assault. It sprays a white 2in wide spray or mist and killed them ASAP. I don't know how much it cost just that it is effective. Gasoline does work though if nothing else is within reach.

Geoff

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I usually try to get the customer to get rid of them. I'm not an exterminator. If they ask me to do it, I will, but I'd rather not. Anyway, its always good to let them know, especially if they have kids.

7. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

If you can find the hole.Put a few table spoons of granular boric acid down the hole.100% guarantee to work.You can find it at walmart( and I am sure everywhere else)The next time you mow there won't be and german hornets left. Also the grass will be undamaged.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

My one customer that has a problem every year with yellow jackets, this is what he does:

-Spray some run-of-the-mill wasp killer down the hole
    -Then puts a rock over the hole
    -Sprays the rock real good, this kills the ones that were "out" when they return from chasing you.

This seems to work well as far as I can tell

9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

A friend told me to pour used motor oil in the hole. Coats the wings and they can't fly. Simply plug the hole and forget.

This is not field tested completely so beware.

Although I did test it on some yellow jackets that had built a nest down in a paper cylinder next to the shop. Not one flew out of the cylinder but i did get tagged by an incoming. Use you own judgment.