Ground Ivy and Violets

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greens1, May 24, 2001.

1. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,
    I am curious as to what people are using on Ground Ivy and violets in turf.

Jim L

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The best thing ever for both was Turflon D, ester formulation of triclopyr and 2,4-D. Too bad Dow cowed to the politics of 2,4-D and stopped making it. But Turflon (triclopyr ester) is still available. For ground ivy, I would always get better success with an ester formulation - first choice is Cool Power (MCPA ester, triclopyr ester, & dicamba) by Riverdale. Super Trimec is also useful. Purdue grad student with ground ivy control project underway 6 months had found best results with triclopyr, using a single active ingredient (field day last summer).

For violets , Cool Power is also somewhat effective, but my preference is Confront. Single app of Confront usually knocks out new plants, and a second app within two weeks will knock out almost all established ones.

3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks GroundKprs,
    I do primarily ornamental and trees, but I have a good customer who recently moved and asked if I could do anything about her lawn. I will try Confront, violets are the primary problem, and after 2 apps I will use a fall app. of Cool Power. By fall the violets should be under good regulation.

Thanks,
    Jim L