ground ivy + peonies, tomatoes, etc

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, May 20, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We received 2 new sign-ups today, and both have "sensitive plants" planted in the lawn! No borders, no mulch......planted right in turfgrass. Both are loaded with creeping Charlie. What the f___???:confused:

One customer asked to be a call-ahead so she can 'cover' her plants. The other said nothing. I don't know about you, but how smart is it to plant sensitive junk right in the creeping Charlie?:hammerhead:

Have you run into this??? How do you handle this, cuz it's gunna take some heavy duty herbicide to wipe out the CC. And I don't want a bunch of service calls or have to buy free replacement plants.

rscvp, thanks :waving:

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good start--cover the plants with a bag. Right about now is a very sensitive stage of growth. Use hand sprayer for a 6 foot circle around the peonies. Explain the problem to homeowner. For the zone near the sensitive plants--maybe you can treat the creeping charlie in the fall, after frost. And insist on treating it next year--before the sensitive plants come up--hand sprayer about April 10th.
    You will think of something. Be sure to charge extra for your time--and the gas.

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

My philosophy this time of year is stay away from flowers and gardens. I would rather get a call about missed weeds than hit flowers. In the fall I get close to all the edges. I also tell customers creeping charlie can take two to three applications, even though Surge will take it out in one. That way you impress the customers.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Good advice. I don't know how many times we've told people with ground ivy this:

Once the plants have run their course for the year, mow & bag what you can, then we can come back on a warm sunny day in late October/November and spray the creeping Charlie.

Problem is -- hardly anybody remembers to do this or call us when they have this done. And so the problem continues.