Ground Ivy

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MikeD520, Apr 19, 2005.

1. MikeD520

MikeD520 LawnSite Member

I have a new customer that has approximately one acre of lawn. About 3/4 of the lawn is infested with ground ivy to the point that no grass or other weeds exist in that section. The Lesco rep told me to use two applications of Momentum...once now and once around Memorial Day. Is this an effective product for ivy? I know the label indicates ground ivy, but others have told me to use 3-Way because it is more effective on ground ivy. The reason I am concerned about this is because two other companies over the past 6 years have tried to rid the property of the ground ivy...thoughts...coments or suggestions.

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

If there is no grass in this section, why not use glyphosphate?

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Mike, Do a ground ivy search. There was a thread on ground ivy a couple weeks ago. I have found three way to be good on ground ivy with multiple applications. Speedzone is apparently better, but I do not have any experience with it. I have gotten excellent control treating ground ivy in the fall, one application in September and the second after a good frost. I would make at least one application now, but let the customer know it may take the growing season to get rid of it.

4. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

I have found some ground ivy that has been sprayed for years with 24-d to be resistant. In this case Momentum - the old momentum -- works very well.

5. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Millemium worked excellent for me last season.

As did confront.

This year all we are using is speedzone. It has simplified mixing, loading, and buying.

EG

6. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Speedzone at 1.5 fl oz per K in cool season turf on a 65 to 75 degree day. Might have to go back to touch up a little.

David

7. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

If it's that bad I would use Glyphosate and then reseed the area. Why guess what will work best when you will have to re-seed anyway?

Mike

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Quite often the ground ivy will look solid but there is enough grass to fill in as the ground ivy is controlled. There is a big difference between a couple herbicide applications and a major renovation, especially on 3/4 acre. I have treated many lawns that appeared all weeds and with a couple treatements are back in shape.

9. MikeD520

MikeD520 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I may try the Speedzone for the next application.

10. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Grandview, I have thought at times there would be nothing left after I killed the ivy or clover only to have the grass fill in real nicely. The first spray on ground ivy will many times result in it almost laughing at you but with a follow up application 2weeks later you can usually control it pretty well with any of the above mentioned products (old Momentum, speedzone, millenium ultra, confront).