Ground Ivy...........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K&L Landscaping, Dec 5, 2004.

1. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I think I might have a problem here. My guys and I were doing a huge fall clean up for this lady. Leaf removal, some remaining mulching and a creek bed clearing. Around the creek bank was alot of ground ivy. The lady said she wanted the ivy to look "natural". I assign jobs and we get started. About an hour into the job I go and check the progress and the guy I put on the creek is chopping ivy with a big FS250R :realmad: I promptly took away the grass gobbler and asked what the h--- he was doing. My question is, will this ground ivy grow back or is it done for good? Keep in mind we are in the mountains of NC where a warm day will be 60 degrees and lows in the lower 20s. Please, advice!!!!!!!!!

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

it will come back you can plant it on concrete and it will grow

iv cut it to the dirt before and it came back round up cant even kill it

3. K&L Landscaping

GREAT!!!!! How long do you think it might take for it to get full again?

This lady lives in Florida and will be back for New Year's. What can I tell her to make her not freak out?

I'm dying here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

it'll come back vary fast don't worry just let her know it is a very hardy plant
    its one of the most invasive grown cover out there

5. K&L Landscaping

hole in one lco, you are making me feel MUCH better. I'm still mad at my guy for taking the easy way out rather than the correct way!!!!!!!!! Should I can him?

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Ground ivy is a weed and would be back but it does not sound like you are talking about ground ivy. Is this something the customer wants if so it sounds a lot more like English or Boston ivy and if he chopped that up then there might be a problem. One quick way to see if we are talking about the same thing describe what the shape the leaf is and what it looks like.

7. K&L Landscaping

The leaf is kinda small. It's not like the ivy that grows up the side of porches and buildings.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

IF it's a vine, it's probably the ornamental.

it will recover fine, but not before new years.

9. K&L Landscaping

OK... I looked in my books and it is definitely English Ivy. According to the book it should be cut back often but certainly not in Dec. The book didn't elabrate on my situation though. Anyone else have any ideas on what I can do?

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

wait for spring