"Ground Moles" Please Help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Synergy Ground, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Synergy Ground

Synergy Ground LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

:confused:I am having a problem with Ground Moles here in North Florida. My own personal lawn loaded. They are digging through my Centipede, and leaving tunnels everywhere. What can be done about these critters? They are driving me crazy, and have come in fast. Please give me some ideas and ways to get ride of them short of "Blasting" them out with TNT. Don't laugh, its on my mind if I can find it.

Thanks,
    TD

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

They are there for a reason... there is food in your turf. Grubs are a likely cause. Get rid of the food, the moles will go elsewhere. Moles are a symptom of another problem.. address the cause instead.

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure about the grub issue being a cure but night crawlers [earth worms] are the favorite food for moles. My lawn is loaded with night crawlers. I would never use anything to kill off night crawlers since they really help the turf remain healthy in a natural way. If it was me I'd try the mole traps first. If that doesn't work you can try some of the toxic night crawler flavored mole bait. I would not use those since I have pets I care about.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/w-fact/0011.html

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Go buy Talparid and apply it. Works like a charm.

5. Elite LawnCare

Elite LawnCare LawnSite Member

I have something in my yard too not sure if they are moles, voles, or gophers. The holes are golf ball size under the 4-5 inch mounds of dirt. My neighbor said "just crush up moth balls and spread it around the area they are in" I haven't tried it yet but he says it works. He is a little wacky so who knows......any input on this theory? I had this problem last year in my back yard too but it went away all by itself. Probably does not help my property borders a huge field

6. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

If I have to deal with moles, I always use and recommend something called "Mole Medic". It's sold in a local nursery, I don't know who makes it but it's a solution of 10% castor oil and water. Spray it on the lawn, it doesn't hurt anything and when the moles get the oily substance on their noses, they dislike it and leave. It's worked for me every time.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Talparid is an awesome product and is about the only proven product on the market! I offer Mole Control as a service and this product works great as I offer a 100% guarantee! So that should tell you how much confidence I have in the product.

Getting rid of grubs may be good for you lawn, but they are only about 5% of a moles diet!

About the only way to get rid of moles....is to get rid of them! You will never (and don't want to) get rid of their food supply which is earth worms.

8. Synergy Ground

Synergy Ground LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

What is Talparid, and where can I purchase it?
    Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate the help.

Thanks Again,
    TD

9. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

First, determine what the pest is. If they are moles, Talprid works very well as an elimination tool. Anything with castor oil or moth balls will act as a deterrent and the pests will leave only to return when the offending material washes away.

If you have voles, the castor oil will work the same way, but Talprid is ineffective. Voles are root and vegetation eaters and feed only on live plants. If you see lot;s of golf ball sized holes, gnaw marks around the bases of p;ants and hostas get cut off and the roots disappear below ground, you have voles. Voles can also be eliminated with peanut butter & mouse traps or rodenticides in safe bait stations.

Kirk

10. Elite LawnCare

Elite LawnCare LawnSite Member

I know this wasent my thread but thanx for the good info