ground moles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by firedude26, Nov 10, 2004.

1. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

What are you guys doing for moles, i have tried everything, ( i think) and have had no luck, i cant even stop tem withthe traps. I have a couple customers with the same problem, no grubs present and have treated all areas. Yes i am licensed also...............???????????? :help:

2. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a problem with them too. Our yard gets torn up bad by them. I bought two traps and have gauhgt about 5 moles in two weeks. I say the trap is your best bet. The one that has the spikes on it and you flatten the tunnel and place it over the tunnel and when the mole comes back through it triggers the trap. I have had wonderful luck. Just dont give up and keep trapping.

3. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Trapping is your only real option. You just have to be diligent. If you really want to learn about eliminating moles, this guy has some great information.

http://www.themoleman.com/

4. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always had good luck with the pellets. You place a few where the tunnels are and all you need to do is pick up the dead. Voles are our biggest problem. Make sure you cut the turf low (2.5 inch or less for winter) and do not let the dead lay around. If the the guys cat from next door eats one you will have a dead cat to pick up also.

5. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

well that wouldn't be so bad, my neighbor has about 12, lol J/K

6. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Talparid is produced by Bell Labs, also Kaput is another gel bait.

Bryn

7. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried them

8. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I laugh every time someone tells me they have grubs because they have moles......shovel to head works good if can see em in the runs....seriously flatten the runs to determine which are being used then set the traps...good luck...

9. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.moletrapper.com/molebuster.html

This guy sells 2 "Victor Out of Sight"s and a tape on how to use them for $40.00. The Out of Sight is the best trap I have ever used and if ya don't know a whole lot about moles and traps get the tape so ya will know how to set it properly. We get 50-70 moles a year using the Out of Sights. Having said that, the moles will be back in the woods in a month. Good Luck

10. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Grubs are not the only thing that moles eat. In fact, earthworms are their main source of food. Before I researched it well, I bought into the grub thing. I put down an application of milky spore a couple years ago, so my grub population is close to non-existant. But my moles are as bad as ever.
    I agree with gps...flatten the tunnels to discover which tunnels are the most active, and set a trap. The scissors traps work much better than the spike traps, but they're harder to set.