Ground nesting bees

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by stumped, May 16, 2006.

1. stumped

stumped LawnSite Member

I have a client that has a bumble bee nest right smack dab in the middle of her flower bed. She wants them gone. While I did tell her they are actually beneficial, she still insists she wants them gone, she's allergic. She doesn't want a chemical solution either.
    As much as I hate do do this, can I run a garden hose down the hole and drown them?
    Any better way??????:confused:

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

double post

3. newz7151

from Tejas

hmm.. maybe a wet dry vac ? Make sure the filter is still installed. Suck em up and maybe relocate em. Or contract a professional bee keeper to come out and move them. Sometimes they will come out for free and remove them in order to add to their collection for organic honey production.

4. stumped

stumped LawnSite Member

Guess you learn something everyday:hammerhead:
    I didn't know bumble bees pollinated to create honey:confused:

5. newz7151

from Tejas

I don't give a rats patoot what they do. I was referring more to the smaller bees which are usually removed from large nest areas. How many bumble bees are in your nest? Also, something about a large buzzing creature that I cannot stand either.

Also, maybe you can point the lady to this site : http://hercules.users.netlink.co.uk/Bee.html which states they are not a swarming bee and will not even attack if you do not smell like a flower.... and let's face it ladies.. even though you dump a whole bottle of perfume on yourself.. you smell like anything BUT a flower.

6. stumped

stumped LawnSite Member

The hole is about an inch in diameter. The bees are fairly good size too. She says she doesn't care how harmless they are she hates bees, so I still have the problem of what to do with them. Can I cram a hose down the hole and drown the little suckers?

7. newz7151

from Tejas

Maybe if you just let it trickle in very slowly, they will all evacuate out and then you can try and just cover up the hole. The queen will probably stay in to try and protect the eggs, but I'm sure the drones and other ones will probably leave. Just be sure that you are way away when you are letting the water trickle in. Just put the hose at the mouth of the hole so they can still escape. Something else you might do is contact a bee keeper and get them to come out with one of those little smoke can things and smoke them out and then cover the hole.

I don't know anything else.. do what you're gonna do. If you gotta drown them and kill them, then do it, but there's no need to come back and post about killing the harmless, swarmless bumble bee.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

i don't know what kind of bumblebees you have, but here in okla. they'll swarm your butt if you mess withem. they nest in the ground and if you drive a tractor or mower over their nest its on. my dad got stung 14 times in our hay meadow on a tractor. made him sick as a dog.

9. VWBOBD

VWBOBD LawnSite Member

But A Bowl Over The Hole UPSIDE DOWN, PUT A ROCK OR SOMETHING TO HOLD IT INTO PLACE, Starve Them To Death In About A Week, I Do This All The Time. WORKS FOR WASPS TOO

10. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Yea Yea... Starve em.. Yea Yea... "SMACK" Shut up Bevis lol..... I defenatly wouldn't starve them... Thats just bad karma... If your gona take them out do it quickly or relocate them. I've never gotten stung by a bee since I started landscaping and I have blondish hair....... Bee's are cool!
    When you say Bumble Bee's are agressive, is this only when around there nest? I've litterally pet bumble bee's when there feeding. When there buzzin around going from flower to flower they seem harmless as a dog eating peanut butter. I didn't know that they make nests in the ground, are we talking about the same bumble bee? There is only one bumble bee right? I know carpenter bee's are the only ones that might look like them. Interesting......