Ground pearcing, boring, drilling

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by jana, Aug 23, 2007.

1. jana

jana LawnSite Member

Yep, first post, just found the site.

Would like to know what others are using to get under driveways, sidewalks, through stone etc.

I was going to purchase a piercing tool from DitchWitch but found out the cost of the air compressor. After picking myself up off the floor, I promptly reconsidered. I had no problem paying the cost of the tool. Renting air is an inconvenience.

Your comments and feedback are appreciated. Links to you product would be nice if available too.

Thanks.

2. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Welcome!
    Under driveways I sub out to irrigation guys.
    Under sidewalks I had a piece of steel made to pound a sleeve underneath.
    These are also made by a company and sold as the "sidewalk sleever"
    Good Luck!

3. jana

jana LawnSite Member

4. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sure your situation and ground is different from ours, but around these parts we can usually get away with a water jet unless we are dealing with pavers. 3/4" PVC with a water hose connection will get us under most sidewalks and driveways up to about 20' with no trouble at all. But, here in N. Florida the ground is so soft and sandy I guess we are the exception. Most others probably have a much more difficult situation to deal with like clay, rock, granite, etc...

5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I use the sidewalk sleever and it works pretty well if you can get under the gravel base for the concrete walk. Usually can pound one through in about 2-3 minutes after you excavate each side. Sleeves with 1" conduit.

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

7. jana

jana LawnSite Member

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Amazing how a great idea gets copied so quickly! As I understand it, this technology had been used by the Russian oil and gas industry fro a long time... then my friends company saw it, how simple and effective it is, and developed the "Big Shot" here in Canada.... A few years later and they seem to be everywhere!

I have seen these work and they are fabulous... certainly worth the cost of renting a commercial compressor for the day.

Good luck.

9. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

The sidewalk sleever is a good tool. I just finished a job where I used it. This was a very difficult job. This was a house on the Columbia river VERY rocky soil. It was a challenge but it worked. It took me three tries to get the sleever through - my conduit kept splitting. This was back breaking work. I was using a 16 lb sledge hammer. The sleever would only move a hair on each hit if I was lucky. :hammerhead: I was really getting frustrated. After 2 tries spending half a day trying to get through. I couldn't think of any other solution so I tried one more time and it worked. With the amount of force I was hitting the sleever with and the resistance I was getting I am amazed the third try succeeded. I don't think anything else could have worked better. :weightlifter:
    ~Ned
    www.nightlightingfx.com

10. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Jana,
    As I mentioned in my post, we use the water jet for anything EXCEPT pavers. I would never use water under pavers under any circumstance. When it comes to paver driveways, I sub the work out to a guy here that uses the same type of equipment that James mentioned. I call it "Jack and Bore" and my guy charges me $8.00 per foot for a 2" bore.