1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ground prep

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by georgel, Jul 3, 2001.

1. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

I have a residential project that involves preping a rock and weed infested yard for irrigation and hydroseed. Do you have any tips on this? I am not sure how meticulus I have to be with the weeds if I am going to bring in top soil. My plan is to go through and take out the obvious weeds and then put a rough grade on it. Once the irrigation is in place, I plan to rent a powerrake(attachment or stand-alone) and put a final grade on it. There are A LOT of rocks of sizes from 3 in. to 9in. Is this a problem for the rake?

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Some attachments won't handle rocks over 6". We use a FFC Preperator on the front of a skid steer, it will eat rocks 20" in dia.
  3. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry Paul but we've used both preparators and rock hounds and I would go with the rock hound every time. Just finished a job started with a prep, sent it back a used the rock hound to finish job.

If it's a small area we just use our TR3 rake and go behind and rake up rocks. If it's a large area or a lot of rocks go with the rock hound on a skid steer.
  4. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

Cool. thanks for the rock advice. How about weed control? Since this will be hydroseed, do I need to make sure everyone of those pesky little weeds are gone before so, they will not return?

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

This time of year you want as many weeds gone as possibile, if you can have it sprayed with round-up.

One thing I have found is that a Preperator takes more time to learn how to use it right but it's a tougher machine with far fewer repairs.
  6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Now I'm curious. How does the Preparator compare to a Harley Rake? Also, how big an area should you have to consider using either of these?
  7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Harley VS Perperator

A Harley on a skid steer will grade both ways but doesn't pick up the rock it windrows them to the side. a Preperator will grade and pick up rock or move them to a larger pile. a Preperator is slower at larger grading jobs because it is less agressive in cutting high spots. they both have their place. I find it easier and faster to use a tractor to bring it to grade and use the preperator to do the final finish work.