Ground Starilization

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by precisioncut, May 16, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I know there are some products out there to starilize the ground. Can some of you give me some names to look for. I need to starilize large areas of rock beds. For those that have used them, give me some pros and cons to look for.
  2. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

Primatol, sterilizes the soil for couple years, but moves easily through soil. So not wise to use near rivers or streams. Or round up and sahara mix will work for one season coverage. Hope there aren't any plants near by.
  3. precisioncut

get rich-thanks, I'll look into it. Your from Rockford? I was born and raised there. But now live in Utah. Grew up in Loves Park and around 7th street area in Rockford.
  4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Pramitol last , for me , 6 months or so.
    Arsenal last longer .

I'm not far from you .
    Sedona , Az.

Where in Utah ?

I love Zion National Park
  5. ArizPestWeed

Arsenal , Diuron,Simazine, Oust , mixed together is better
  6. neal-wolbertsinc

neal-wolbertsinc LawnSite Member

If there is no plan to plant anything use a soil residual (not sterilizer, that is done by fumigants) that is labeled for landscape use. Not sure if Pramitol is labeled for such. How about Roundup with a follow-up of Casoron 4G? That should give 5-6 months control. You will need to catch a rain of at least 1/2" to activate the Casoron or it will not turn to a gas and do it's job. The rate of Casoron should be 150# per acre or about 3 1/2# 1000/ sq ft at high rate. It will move with water so watch any slopes that have grass close to them that you don't want to kill, especially if you are in an area that gets sudden heavy rains. I've seen damage extend 30' feet or more down a sloped lawn below a treated bed many times...not fun to fix. If you want to make a single pass with liquids, try Roundup, Gallery, Barricade for great control of most every type of seed germinted weed. It won't control rhizomes that poke through though like Casoron will, but you can apply it in a single application and expect 4-5 months control without worry of it moving at all. It is a great combination for beds and lawn edging, tree rings etc. Neal
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Pramitol is something I used last year. Rain works it into the ground and it works great. I think I paid $60 or so for a gallon, maybe less.
  8. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Princep works good for me. Just a few grams in 15 liters will last for at about a couple months. If you want longer control, use more princep in the mix.
  9. precisioncut

I'm in St. George, UT. Few mins away from Zion. I'm not sure where Sedona, AZ is.
  10. ArizPestWeed

I was in St George in 1977 for one nite .

Sedona is in Central Az , 45 miles south of Flagstaff.