Ground sterilants

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Tulialawncare, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Tulialawncare

Tulialawncare LawnSite Member

I had an electric coop hit me up to spray sub-stations for weed control. I have a Texas TDA license, but have not done anything like this before.
    Is there any thing that can control weeds for the whole growing seasons?
    Or is anyone do any thing like this?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

not sure of what there wanting, but this is how i handle bids/request like that.
    1. find out what they are really wanting-total death, or keep it under control
    2. (not knowing your weed growth in texas) bid the jobs for 2-3 spray's, make the first in mid-to-late spring when most/all the plants have good leaves and are growing good, then spray in the late summer-to-early fall, if nessary do an early-to-mid summer spray.
    3. have them sign a 2-3 year contract for the spraying, because after the first year, the next two will not need near as much attention and you can make money off the job this way, and they can see results.

i use round-up, mixed with an ester based herbicide plus a surfactant, this will burn the heck out of everthing, and it is pretty cost effective Vs. using hyvar. jmo

4. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Sahara with round up is good

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Sahara for the past probably 5 years on a schedule as Teeca suggested (2-3 visits). I use Roundup as a touch up with Surflan mixed in as weed pressure dictates on the second 2 visits. I was never happy with the Sahara, as it's a DG and settles in the tank. I used Pramitol on a job in the late summer and I may switch over to this for handling purposes. Otherwise I'm on the same page with Teeca and SC.

6. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

First of all not knowing your exact license situation, in OK you must have a r.o.w. (right-of-way) endorsement. Not sure what TX requires. Another thing to consider is a lot of these big commercial companies require a very high insurance liability. This can make a big difference in bidding on the job.

Now to the chemical: We spray oil field leases, pipelines, and parking areas for bareground weed control. If you use enough of the right products you can get season long control.

We prefer the combination of Krovar IDF and Diuron. Both of these products are a dry flowable, which means you must have mechanical agitation to keep these products in suspension. If you are serious about doing this, I would suggest a Bean sprayer with the mechanical agitation. It is what we use and we pour product right in the tank without having to slurry it. You can also use some sulfonylurea type herbicides in conjunction with this combination such as Landmark XP. These are quite a bit more expensive, but give a broader control. We found that a 12#/5# krovar/diuron combo per acre gives sufficient season long control in our sandy soils.

Hope this helps, remeber if you do a good job the first time, they will continue to use you year after year.

God Bless...
    John...

7. Tulialawncare

Tulialawncare LawnSite Member

thanks for all of your help.
    this was my first post.
    People on here very helpful.
    Thanks
    JT

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

If you use sterilants, be extra careful about run-off. Any trees down hill could be toast. We had a state ag rep at one of our training meetings a few yrs ago. He showed us photo after photo of people who had caused serious off site damage w/ sterilants.

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Texas does not require a r.o.w. catagory license in addition to the commercial applicator's license for sub-station spraying - or for power line spraying.
    Due to potential for erosion and field, crop contaimination, TCEQ/TDA will not allow mobile sterilents to be applied to r.ow.
    That being said, I have found Sahara and Surflan or MSMA to be a good combination for up to 8 months of control. I flood apply, meaning above 2 gallons of water/1K sq ft - with decent results.
    Sahara is not recommended with salts like glyosphate unless short term burn down is desired - in that case use dicamba and 2,4-D.

10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

2 good points in the 2 above posts. Don't apply near the drip line of trees either, not just avoiding upslope. If there are desirable tree roots where you apply, there is always a potential for uptake. Secondly, yes, volume is important. I use 50 gal./acre, but I know I'm on the low side. More is better when it comes to carrier in this instance.