Ground Temps??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Branchland, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you that go by the ground temps the way you're supposed to before applying pre-m, how do you get the temperatures of the ground?

2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

they make this device called a thermometer

3. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

4. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

What a neat site. Thanks FINN.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If i'm not mistaken, isn't it 55 degrees soil temp when you are supposed to have the pre-em down? At least I think that's right for Barricade...

I have a soil temp probe but I always cheat and go out and start doing my apps when everyone else does. I figure they can't all be wrong, lol

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I've read by 55 F for pre em, that's what is on the Barricade label. I start a little early because it takes me a 4 -5 weeks to get all my applications done and here the soil temp can change rapidly. One freakishly warm week and it can go from 45 to over 55.

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Soil temp has to be sustained at 55 degrees for a few days before crab starts germinating.

Always better to start early and know the average date in your area that 55 is normally sustained. Our cutoff in this area is about March 15.

9. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone always speaks of crabgrass - What about the germ temp for most summer broadleafs?

10. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh:
    They sell them at lesco also.
    55 degrees is the number for me at a two inch depth for a few days and away fro heat reflective surfaces.