grounds control - cheaper than me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bone1, Jul 11, 2008.

1. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

went to look at an apartment complex today that grounds control does. the lady shows me the invoice from grounds control and it was about $800 cheaper than i could do it! how can a big company do the maintenance so cheap. i figured it up( as to what i thought they were paying these guys). the 3 guys they have on it take all day and sometimes longer. they could only be breaking even after gas and paying the workers. how do they do it?

2. KingMoneyNYC

KingMoneyNYC LawnSite Member

maybe the government subsidizes it

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Because when it is all said and done, if the owner makes 10 dollars, then it is another 10 dollars to add to the list 100's of other "10 dollars" he makes. That is not to mention that this was probably just a mowing invoice you saw. Well,...this may very well be a loss leader for him to be in doing shrub and ornamental, fert., and snow and salt.

4. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

:realmad: Lowballers!!!!

:laugh:

5. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

the invoice said landscaping maintenance service. so i guess it was mowing and the maintenance part of it.( shrubs, pulling weeds, etc...).

6. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

oh yeah, around here grounds control is one of the biggest landscape companies!

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

They are very large. It would not surprise me if they were doing it at cost or a slight loss (as runner said) for the extras and that is how they will make their money. For now... when the economy picks up so will their prices. One thing for sure they have it figured out. My old boss is the president of G/C