Lawn Care Forum banner

Grounds Guys Franchise

114K views 125 replies 65 participants last post by  SClawnanddesign 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone on here has bought into this & what you think about it.
My brother-in-law has been looking into it a little & asked me what I thought.

I know there are alot of guys on here that would never consider a franchise.

I want to hear from those of you that have first hand knowledge of this bunch.
Pros & Cons.

#108 ·
I have read through many of the comments on here and felt compelled to tell a different story from the inside looking out instead of on the outside looking in. I too was asking the question almost four years ago on whether to franchise or go it alone. Either way, I wanted out of my career and wanted to be in the landscaping industry. I went through all the same emotions. "Do they just want my money" being the main one and close behind it "is this legit". That being said, I decided to franchise. Now, keep this in mind. If you can look at the bigger picture this will all start to make sense.
1. I had no experience in running a business or working in the private sector.
2. How would I make this work having a family and needing to support them?
When I answered these questions I realized that franchising is really not about the specific business you do. Its about having the BUSINESS SYSTEMS in place to run a successful business. Too often, I read comments saying they want this, they want that. Many times this is followed with opinions of people who may not even be right for a franchise. And finally, some people just don't WANT to franchise. And that is okay. I'm not familiar with any franchise brand that has aspirations to take over the world. Just like any business, they have a select market of people they want to reach. You may be one.
If franchising is so bad, why is it that we, the same people on this thread, use franchised services on a daily and repeat basis? From fast food, to sit down restaurants, to convenience stores, automotive shops, and hotels. There is a reason. These brands are part of a chain and obviously there is some part of each of us that realizes these brands come with standards and we know what to expect when we walk through the doors. That's natural and normal. ITS WHY FRANCHISING WORKS for those that want to partake. And no, it is not for everyone. You don't see people franchising that want to remain small. It is a concept more for the franchisee or person wanting to go big or go home.
I know for me, I started with a truck, trailer, and one lawn mower. I had minimal experience mowing, no experience running a business, and had no idea what the heck I was doing. Today, I employ 15 people and we do everything from irrigation installation to running mowing crews. I have done this in under four years, and have HAD to use The Grounds Guys systems to do it because I don't know any other way. I started with no money, had no rich family member investing in me, and have worked and clawed my way up. And it has worked well for me. But I will tell you the secret. Instead of looking to blame government regulations, market conditions, employee issues, or any other number of issues that come up daily, I have chosen to look to MYSELF to look at issues and decide how to move past them. I'm never looking at how to accept problems, I'm looking at how to resolve them. And I push forward all the time regardless of what gets thrown my way. There is a reason many people never achieve theirs goals in life. They spend way too much time insulating themselves from problems they could solve themselves but honestly just don't have the motivation to do. I would steer anyone in the direction of this franchise business model. Is it perfect? No. Is it solid? Yes, IF YOU EXECUTE. I work on problems every day and some do not go away quickly. Think to yourself for a minute. If being a successful business owner were easy, everyone would be multi millionare owners. The reason that is not real is some people do not have those dreams. Others try and get tired. For those that persevere, there is a reward for a lifetime of building something the right way. The one thing that I like the most about being a GG franchisee is customers know I have insurance, they like having fully uniformed people and equipment at their residence or business. Is it important to all people...no. But that is the type of customer GG is looking for. There is plenty of room in this industry for all types of landscape companies with different priorities and different business models. Maybe yours is different. I just know what it has done for me and after reading some of the responses felt compelled to tell my own story, whatever that is worth. Maybe someone reading this will benefit from the information or my opinion.

#122 ·
I have read through many of the comments on here and felt compelled to tell a different story from the inside looking out instead of on the outside looking in. I too was asking the question almost four years ago on whether to franchise or go it alone. Either way, I wanted out of my career and wanted to be in the landscaping industry. I went through all the same emotions. "Do they just want my money" being the main one and close behind it "is this legit". That being said, I decided to franchise. Now, keep this in mind. If you can look at the bigger picture this will all start to make sense.
1. I had no experience in running a business or working in the private sector.
2. How would I make this work having a family and needing to support them?
When I answered these questions I realized that franchising is really not about the specific business you do. Its about having the BUSINESS SYSTEMS in place to run a successful business. Too often, I read comments saying they want this, they want that. Many times this is followed with opinions of people who may not even be right for a franchise. And finally, some people just don't WANT to franchise. And that is okay. I'm not familiar with any franchise brand that has aspirations to take over the world. Just like any business, they have a select market of people they want to reach. You may be one.
If franchising is so bad, why is it that we, the same people on this thread, use franchised services on a daily and repeat basis? From fast food, to sit down restaurants, to convenience stores, automotive shops, and hotels. There is a reason. These brands are part of a chain and obviously there is some part of each of us that realizes these brands come with standards and we know what to expect when we walk through the doors. That's natural and normal. ITS WHY FRANCHISING WORKS for those that want to partake. And no, it is not for everyone. You don't see people franchising that want to remain small. It is a concept more for the franchisee or person wanting to go big or go home.
I know for me, I started with a truck, trailer, and one lawn mower. I had minimal experience mowing, no experience running a business, and had no idea what the heck I was doing. Today, I employ 15 people and we do everything from irrigation installation to running mowing crews. I have done this in under four years, and have HAD to use The Grounds Guys systems to do it because I don't know any other way. I started with no money, had no rich family member investing in me, and have worked and clawed my way up. And it has worked well for me. But I will tell you the secret. Instead of looking to blame government regulations, market conditions, employee issues, or any other number of issues that come up daily, I have chosen to look to MYSELF to look at issues and decide how to move past them. I'm never looking at how to accept problems, I'm looking at how to resolve them. And I push forward all the time regardless of what gets thrown my way. There is a reason many people never achieve theirs goals in life. They spend way too much time insulating themselves from problems they could solve themselves but honestly just don't have the motivation to do. I would steer anyone in the direction of this franchise business model. Is it perfect? No. Is it solid? Yes, IF YOU EXECUTE. I work on problems every day and some do not go away quickly. Think to yourself for a minute. If being a successful business owner were easy, everyone would be multi millionare owners. The reason that is not real is some people do not have those dreams. Others try and get tired. For those that persevere, there is a reward for a lifetime of building something the right way. The one thing that I like the most about being a GG franchisee is customers know I have insurance, they like having fully uniformed people and equipment at their residence or business. Is it important to all people...no. But that is the type of customer GG is looking for. There is plenty of room in this industry for all types of landscape companies with different priorities and different business models. Maybe yours is different. I just know what it has done for me and after reading some of the responses felt compelled to tell my own story, whatever that is worth. Maybe someone reading this will benefit from the information or my opinion.
How is it going now ? Figured I would come back to the thread and check in. Thanks

#110 ·
Today is going to be a quick reply, this site was pointed out about the Grounds Guys to me today and i want to say, that i have been a busines owner for over 15 years, i have owned 8 variuouse landscaping companies. some i sold when i was young and some i had to close becuase of things that will be explained later. i have grown the largest company to a little over $2 million. that was as big as i could take it on my own. I was the companiy. i worked 85-100 hours a week, sacrificed my wife, family and many other things. I have no formal schooling or training but i can build yo almost anything. When it came to money i could produce alot of it but at the end of the year i didnt have much left. I was phoned by the GG about 4 1/2 years ago and at first i traeted them like any other sales person but there was two key words they said to me... legacy and culture. I was recently at a conference and heard those key words. I took their calls finaly and eneded up purchasing a territory then shortly there after i bought another territory that wasnt following the systems. You do have to drink the kool aid to an extent but you definitly have to listen and work the systems. I have two companies today, the GG which runs my minatenance and a design build firm. GG helps me with both and both feed one another. Today i am looking at revenues well over $3m, i have hired and are developing management staff and my hope is by the close of 2017 i will ahve the ability to be an absentee owner (not likely i will walk away becuase i like to work) I also turned my first larger profit year last year. It has beeen a lot of work and a lot of humbing myself to get thsi point. If you want more detail leave a couple questions and i will do my best to share more.

One last thought. those that have failed at franchising i am sorry, it is not for everyone becuase i do have to realy humble yourself and sometimes you dont always get the best and most attention but if you work hard and demand what you pay for you can and will be succesful.

#111 ·
Wow! I just sold my Grounds Guys Franchise in April. After someone reached out to me this week from a post I made a few years ago about the Grounds Guys, I decided to read some of these recent posts. And I have to say I am compelled to make a statement.

First of all I have no affiliation with the Grounds Guys whatsoever after April 1st 2017. I was a franchisee from September 2014 to April 2017. I am not responding to anyone in particular though some of these negative assumptions are so far from the truth and when taken with context clues could very easily be classified as people who have no idea what they are talking about. These comments are not only ignorant in regards to Grounds Guys or franchises in general but also lack an understanding in even the simplest of general business concepts.

With that being said I would hate for an eager entrepreneur looking for thier first or second opportunity to miss out on the life changing and unbelievably positive experience that I have had with the Grounds Guys. This business model is one of many vehicles to financial freedom through business ownership. it is not for everyone. It requires someone that is teachable and capable of being competently honest with themselves.

I am willing to share my story with anyone about my experience with GG. It is not all rainbows by any stretch. If anyone would like to talk about my experience with Grounds Guys I would be glad to invest some of my time in telling you my story and answering your questions. I will be 100% honest about my struggles and victories owning a Grounds Guys Franchise. PM me if interested.

#116 ·
Tbh

100k investment in a new business isn’t unreal.
It’s a virtual myth that you can just run out and start up a business with a push mower and poof make millions.

ed Laflamme did it
Marty Grunder and Tony Bass did it.
But we don’t know the names of everyone who failed ... a list that would make the Vietnam war memorial look small.

if you don’t have a decent amount of money saved up to go into business you shouldn’t do it.
Wait until you do.
that is, unless baby needs new shoes and the family is starving - then do whatever you can to scrap up some dough.

but going in well planned and financed is absolutely the preferred way.

should you throw 100k at a franchise?
I don’t know.
They have existing knowledge , experience and marketing power you wouldn’t otherwise have access to, especially if you’re new to the industry.

look at all the franchises like Pizza Hut or McDonald’s
Plenty of business owners that aren’t professional chefs are now running and successful
Can it work?
Obviously yes.
Do they take a lot of money from you?
Maybe
But people don’t talk about the money they lost on their own trying to “figure things out” or reinvent the wheel.

the imaginary world of “corporations are greedy and evil” puts a taint of distrust on a franchise that’s not really deserved.
I find it humorous people will put more value in the advice of strangers that’s free and risk their money on that, than willing pay for professional and proven franchise advice.

I’m not advocating franchises
I’m just saying there are countless ones in every community that are working.

#118 ·
I think if you want to recreate the wheel.in your own image a franchise is not for you. I think if you believe what you do, the decisions you make, and the money you make to reinvest as you see fit then a franchise isnt for you.
But a franchise does alot for you and you may have to take the blinders off to realize what they bring to the table.
Do they have the marketing dept? Thru them can you execute on a mass scale a marketing plan that has data showing you how you will get sales?
They can help you make a business plan and they can show you from 1st year to 1 million every year what that looks like and what you should be spending and how much you should be making.
What about education? Do you have your own training dept because a franchise helps with that as well.
What about buying power alot of vendors wont give you the price break a national buying agreement can. Not just trucks, mowers, blowers what about insurance, payroll services, fertilizer, uniforms?
Yes most of them in our industry are pricey but it's what you want at the end of the day out of your business that will dictate if it's a good fit. They are there to help you grow some of the franchise models do a great job of this with support some of them dont.
Yes I am a franchise owner for a portion of my business after 10years I bought a franchise for one aspect of our industry and I'm extremely pleased. I never thought rolling my company entirely under a franchise was a good fit.

#125 ·
#126 ·
I’d steer clear of Grounds Guys. Terrible organization that will likely ruin you. Like trugreen, great marketing and sales, very little substance.

they look for two types of people. People who will most likely be successful regardless, that they can leech onto for a percentage. Or, someone with money, that they can bleed dry with their fees and percentages and required things you have to sign up for. Do they want people to be successful? Of course, they get more money and can sell more franchises. Do they really care end of day? No. They set it up to where they get their money regardless. You fail? They just sell the territory to next person.

if they call you, ask how many franchises they’ve sold since they started, and how many franchises they have now. I’d guess 100+ have gone out of business including old boy above. Looks like his grounds guys location no longer in business

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.