1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grounds Guys Franchise

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by sharpcuts, Oct 26, 2011.

1. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very thorough response; thank you. When you say "doubled" can you elaborate a little bit on that? Maybe you went from 20 accounts to 40 accounts; maybe you can give the size of your "average" account as well.

Reason I ask is; for example; say year 1 you had 10 accounts. It would be very easy to double the following year.

I believe you double; but would like to know how aggressive your "double" has been since being with Ground Guys.

Thank you very much.
  2. wes92395

wes92395 LawnSite Member

I spoke with them earlier this year. The lady I talked with was very nice, I spent a few hours talking with her. I was seriously considering it, then I walked out and looked at my name on the side of my truck and remembered that I started that from nothing, why can't I grow it on my own? Just wasn't for me, I don't want to have to ask somebody if I'm allowed to do something in MY business. I take pride in doing it myself even if it takes longer. Nothing wrong with them though, they seem like a legit company I would try if I was a consumer.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Charles ton cleveland likes this.
  3. Big Hitter

Big Hitter LawnSite Member

If you are that uncomfortable with competition, then you are in trouble! Honestly, YOU ARE YOUR OWN COMPETITION! Look in the mirror when you lose a client. The other guy was there to catch them falling away from you!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Big Hitter

Big Hitter LawnSite Member

The beauty of franchising is that it is still YOUR company. The benefits you get are significant. Buying power, peer support, a consultant working with you weekly / monthly, brand presence, systems, marketing support, regional & national contract opportunities, ongoing business & technical training just to name a few things.

You will reach plateaus as you grow your business. The support you receive being a franchise will help guide you through those tough times.

It is a fraternity of business owners all focused on providing High Quality Service to their clients while maintaining high levels of efficiency and profit alnong the way.

You can get there without this support for sure. But in their system, you can get there quicker, make less mistakes, and have more fun doing it along the way. The investment pays for itself many many times over.

Stay in touch with her, I'm sure their door is still open for you.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

What else can you tell us about the franchise? Are you with one/which one? When you say their marketing support, do your royalty fees pay for marketing materials or do you kick extra in for that?

Please indulge! Thank you.
  6. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

I think Big Hitter is a sales guy for them... Only a few post, doubt he is even from Cols, Ohio
  7. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I think a franchise like this is good for SOME people. Some people only have the business skills to run a 1 truck operation and dont know what or how to scale up from that to a really big business. Im sure grounds guys provides all that support to show you how to do it.

If you have a few trucks on the road, know how to market to get new business and can manage your guys then maybe its not for you.
  8. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

Big Hitter you should come back and defend yourself... You are covering the ground guys to a point that is questionable...
  9. trutco

trutco LawnSite Member

A franchise could be worth it if you don't have any business experience what so ever nor any lawn experience. Then again I don't know who has zero business experience but 100k laying around. I would invest that 100k in some nice looking uniforms, get a haircut, and go knock on the doors of property managers. Put the remaining $99,923 in an IRA.
  10. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

They have called me the last couple seasons. I tell them I already dominate the online market and I am not interested. They call back 1 year later and repeat.